New 6S Plus has dust in camera. Can they just replace the camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Silver Idaten, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Overall, I'm very satisfied, what a great phone. My only concern is the one that I got has a large, noticeable piece of dust in the rear camera near the center. I made a Genius Bar appointment. I know that Apple is replacing cameras for 6 Pluses with the blurry focus issue rather than issuing all-new phones. I also know the phone is brand new, hence why I ask this: I don't want to have my phone replaced, it works great and looks great otherwise. Will the Genius Bar be able to just replace the camera lens, or even just pop it off and clean it? That's all I really want. The AppleCare guy on the phone said it's possible, but he was unsure.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

3. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Yeah, and this early on in the process, it may be a genuinely new phone, not a refurb, but it will still come in a refurb box.

4. Silver Idaten thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was afraid of. I really don't want to play the exchange game just for that.

5. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Every picture you take will have this dust in it. That's not worth exchanging the phone for?

C

6. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

7. Silver Idaten thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell, I can't see it in the pictures. I've spent most of the day just trying to lodge it out of the middle of the lens. If I can get it to go float somewhere else out of sight I'm cool. I just hate that it's there or that it could get worse, and I literally just finished playing the exchange game with the Air 2 so I'm not looking forward to starting it again.

Hence why I'd rather they just replace/clean the camera. I've heard they've done it before, and they're even doing it now.

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

My experience with dirty lenses... Try taking pics towards a bright light. That's where you'll get starbursts and see the spec.

C

9. Silver Idaten thread starter macrumors 6502

I called up AppleCare and they said the first thing they'll try and do is just open it up and clean it out, their whole policy is to be as least invasive as possible, and replacing the phone is more of a last resort. I hope that ends up being the case.