New 6s+ signal jumping around

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryan85, Oct 15, 2015.

1. bryan85 macrumors regular

Just got the new 6s+ coming from the 6+. I got the sim-free version. I am having issue with my T-Mobile LTE signal varying wildly while sitting in one place. I can watch it go from -88 all the way to -140, No Service and then to -100. It's all over the place with no rhyme or reason.

When I setup my phone I did it from a restore but reset network settings. Any one have similar issues?

2. lankox macrumors regular

You probably need T-Mobile to officially activate the Sim card.

3. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

Just called T-Mobile. Not having any signal issues when I put the card back in my 6+, just the 6S+. They are thinking it may be an cell tower issue. Ticket open with engineering. I'll test it tomorrow in different locations (work, out to lunch, etc) and see if I still have the same issues. Hopefully it's not the phone.

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

In some of the reviews that I've read about the 6S/6S Plus mentioned that reception on them is not as good as the 6/6s Plus. I'm getting my Sim Free 6S Plus in a week or two, so I really hope this isn't true. Reception on my current 6 Plus is awesome on AT&T's LTE network everywhere I go with it.

5. WarcraftWidow macrumors member

I haven't noticed any difference in reception between my 6+ and 6S+. I'm on AT&T and I don't have the SIM-free version but my 6A+ is unlocked.

6. jlevy73 macrumors member

I have the 6s+ on TMO and reception is much better for me than it was on the 6+. I'm able to take advantage of Band 12 so I have no complaints.

7. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

This is good to hear. Hopefully my SIM Free 6S+ is good with reception too. I had the AT&T Rose Gold colored 6S+ on launch day but returned it the next day because I didn't care for the color. I should have kept it a few days just to test it out a little.

8. bryan85, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm at work, and its still happening. Interestingly, when I start using data the signal stabilizes but then goes back to the wide variations when I stop. It's almost like it's polling each signal. Also, when I drove back around my neighborhood(son's daycare is in other direction from work) it dropped to no signal just like it was doing last night.

I'm going to get a new SIM card on my lunch break to see if that does anything. If not, I may need to return the phone. This is weird...

edit:
    And now it's dropped down to 4G. Ugh.

9. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

Got a new SIM card, reset network settings, reset all settings, erased iPhone and still had the issue. Connected the iPhone to my mac and restored it and setup as new. Seems to be holding a steady signal now. Weird...

Now to reconfigure everything. bleh.

10. mupet0000 macrumors newbie

I read some bad things about the 6S+ signal, but after getting it, I'm surprised at how good it actually is. Coming from a Nexus 6 (a phone which has incredibly good signal), it's actually right up there with it. Beats every other phone I've used, except the Nexus 6 which is ever so slightly better at holding LTE.

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Wasn't the Nexus 6 manufactured by Motorola? If so, that could be why the Nexus 6 was better at holding a signal. Motorola devices are really good at holding onto a signal even in weak areas.

12. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh... back to the same issues today. T-Mobile said the tower is fine which I tend to believe because I've had the issue all around town. Headed to Apple store...

13. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

The symptoms sound like multi-path distortion. This is caused by signals bouncing around. Signals bounce off of buildings or hillsides. A signal that arrives after bouncing off of something travels farther than a signal that traveled directly from the cell tower. The signals are out of phase resulting in intermittent distortion.

14. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

The whole way to the Apple store (35 miles) the phone was constantly dropping to no service. I was unable to stream music the entire way, which I am normally able to do. I couldn't even get it to start, let alone stay playing. I returned it and got the T-Mobile version. Solid signal the entire way home, and at home. Same SIM card, iOS version and carrier profile. Not too sure what the issue was. Bad hardware maybe?

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm experiencing exactly the same signal strength with my 6S+ as my 6+. A rock-solid two dots.:D

16. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Most likely a hardware issue with that device. The SIM Free version is the same as the T-mobile except it includes Band 30 as well.