New 7" iPad with Retina Display on the Way? (Rumor)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aohus, Aug 4, 2010.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

A seven-inch-screened version of the iPad is substantially finished and will be ready for announcement either later this year or early in 2011. Apple has been prototyping devices with screens of this size for a long time—quite possibly predating the original iPhone.

[​IMG]

Link

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

3. iPadztr macrumors 6502

on 7" screen retina is quite possible and here to hope for affordability at the same time. BUT, like the guy said above this post, I'll believe when I see it.

4. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Seems like too close of parameters to be true.

5. JulianL macrumors 65816

I'm not convinced. The iPhone screen is 3.5" so presumably this device would have 4 times the pixel count so, to maintain iPhone levels of performance (which according to various benchmarks would be about a 20% performance drop on the current iPad) would require a quadrupling of CPU and GPU power. That's a stretch in a single generation. I suppose that they could force graphically intensive games to run in a lower resolution but I'm not sure how they'd manage expectations on that one.

- Julian

6. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

I highly doubt this new rumored 7" iPad will have retina display. battery consumption alone would be an issue.

7. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I just don't see it happening. I'd be much more likely to buy an iPad that is larger than the current one. A device that has a screen slightly smaller than an average sheet of paper would be ideal for taking notes.

8. Relg3! macrumors regular

Relg3!

Maybe specs on the 10" will be those of this rumored 7"?
    Apple has been good with the battery life on the latest apple iOS devices.:apple:

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yep, alot of people dont see this, the more pixels....the more hardware you need to drive it.

the ipad's density itself cannot be changed without taking a massive performance hit.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What I like is the fact the OP took a rumor 7" iPad and embellished it with their own rumor (Retina Display).....

:D