Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad Pro, widely expected to be announced at the company's "Let Us Loop You In" media event on Monday, will start at $599 and have 32GB and 128GB storage options, according to 9to5Mac.

The base $599 price will apply to the 32GB model with Wi-Fi only, while 128GB and LTE versions will be sold at higher price points. The older iPad Air 2 will reportedly remain in Apple's tablet lineup, likely for $499.

ipad-pro-duo.jpg

Previous 9.7-inch iPads have had a $499 starting price, meaning the smaller iPad Pro could be Apple's most expensive tablet ever in its size class. However, 32GB base storage would be higher than 16GB for the base iPad Air 2.

The much-rumored 9.7-inch iPad Pro is expected to have many new features compared to the iPad Air lineup, possibly including a Smart Connector, faster A9X chip with up to 4GB of RAM, four speakers, and 12-megapixel rear camera.

MacRumors will be providing live blog and Twitter coverage (@MacRumorsLive) of Apple's media event, which commences on Monday at 10:00 a.m. Pacific. A new 4-inch iPhone SE and Apple Watch updates are also expected.

Article Link: New 9.7" iPad Pro to Start at $599, 32GB and 128GB Models Available

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm not surprised but still disappointed.

No doubt Apple will be increasing its average profit per unit with this move.

Let's look at the main changes:
  • The A9X is nice, but that's what a non-Pro iPad would have had either way if they had kept their previous pattern. (e.g. if Apple had gone with a $499 iPad Air 3, it still would have had an A9X). In fact, their flagship 9.7" iPad's chip is kind of weaker than before (relative to time), considering the Air 1 and Air 2 were released with a brand new architecture, whereas this iPad Pro will use a 6-month old architecture that will probably be surpassed by the iPhone 7's A10 in another 6 months.
  • Having 4 speakers is nice, but that doesn't justify a price increase. Small speakers like those are dirt cheap.
  • An increase to 32GB for the base model is nice, but again, doesn't justify a price increase. 16GB has been the norm ever since the first iPad was released in 2010. 32GB of NAND storage in 2016 probably isn't more expensive than 16GB in 2010. iPhones have seen their base capacity increase over the years (4 to 8 to 16) without a price increase. Same for iPods and Macs.
All those don't justify the Pro branding and the $100 extra. It's stuff you should expect from an Air 2 -> Air 3 update (which is an expectional 2-year cycle, so it's normal to have slightly higher expectations too).

So really, what justifies the Pro branding and associated $100 increase? 2 other main changes:
  • Smart Connector
  • Apple Pencil support
The thing is, to actually use those capabilities, you need to buy high-margin accessories sold separately. So Apple was going to increase their average profit per iPad sold either way, regardless of a price increase for the iPad itself.

The iPad also had various reductions in component costs over time (e.g. newer iPads having smaller batteries and enclosures than older ones) that never resulted in any price decrease.

Apple is getting really agressive about increasing its profits. Between this, the price of the 12.6" iPad Pro and its accessories, and the price of the new Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad, I'm getting worried a little.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I wonder if this also means the iPad Air 2 will be kept at its current price? I was hoping for a price cut when this new one was released, but as it seems to be being pitched in the iPad Pro family, rather than the next Air, I suspect the prices may not drop.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
Hm. Throw in the Apple Pencil with that price and I'm in.
I never liked the iPad Air 2, I had three replacements due to defective loudspeakers and the current loudspeakers seem to almost explode with every sound they make. It was the worst iteration of all the iPads, I've owned - and I've literally had every single one of them.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Not cool, Apple, not cool.
It's $200 less than the 12.9" iPad Pro and is exactly where I was expecting it. It adds Pencil support and the smart connector. I also think we'll see more accessories and improvements to iOS in the future that are specific to the Pro devices. Essentially we'll have "regular" iPads at 7.9" and 9.7", and iPad Pros at 9.7" and 12.9".

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Don't see what the complaints are about. I actually think it's great - $100 more gets double the storage, and all the other upgrades. The only weird thing would be someone deciding to go with the 16 GB Air 2 for $100 less. Would have been great to have the lineup be 16GB mini 2 at $199, 16 GB mini 4 at $299, 16 GB Air 2 at $399, 16 GB 9.7 inch Pro at $499, 32 GB 9.7 Pro at $599, etc.

Reactions: vito and capathy21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.