new ac adapter style -- kinda annoying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrBallistic, Apr 19, 2010.

1. mrBallistic macrumors newbie

so there's a new style of ac adapter shipping with the new mbp. it's different than the standard in that it's an 'L' style at the point of connection with the laptop.

kinda nice idea, but, of course, my incase grippy cover that i ordered for it blocks it's ability to seat correctly. thankfully, i have a few others in the house, so i'm going to trade out power bricks with a different machine and call it good.

anyway, if any of you are looking to get one of those incase skins, wait. i'm sure that there will be a redesign coming rsn.

2. BaronStein macrumors regular

I've actually liked this adapter style. It keeps the cord at the back. When you move the computer, it less likely disturbs you.

Sorry for your situation though.

3. ttran88 macrumors regular

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'm right handed but mouse lefty. I appreciate the fact that the new power adapter doesn't stick straight out the left side. But yeah, I would imagine that these sorts of design changes can potentially wreak havoc on third party accessories from time to time.

5. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I like the new style (or more like the Macbook Air style) plugs for the simple reason that it doesn't pop loose as easily as the older plugs.

6. mrBallistic thread starter macrumors newbie

i take that back. last summer's 13" mbp's power brick isn't compatible with the new version, so i'm stuck with the "L" for now.

7. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

To be honest I'm madly in love with the new MagSafe adapter. It just blew me out the first time I saw it. Don't know why, I mean, I've never come across another company that dedicates so much attention to the littlest of things.

The new connector helps dismiss bending moment due to gravity at the notch, hence preventing wear and tear at the edge where the plug ends and the cord begins. And the brushed aluminum and the green / orange LED are a match made in heaven.

8. 1creator macrumors member

That's weird. I used the new version on a late '09 version and it worked fine.

9. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

You might want to check that again, because it should.

10. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

is this really a new style?

I could swear that it is identical to the old powerbook g4 cable design except now with a magnet

11. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

The plug (connector) is compatable physically with all the mag safe connectors. The issue is there are 65 watt and 85 watt mag safes. You can use the 85w with any Mag safe Mac, but you can only use the 65w with the smaller Macs.

12. Turbo89 macrumors newbie

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I hate it too; that's why I ordered the old one.

14. mrBallistic thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, drama over. with a bit of pushing, i can get it to power the mbp even with the skin on. not ideal, but workable for now.

15. mrBallistic thread starter macrumors newbie

you're right. they're both 60w bricks. it turns out that i just had to push it in a bunch for it to take. once i did, all was well.

i'm used to the old style, which automagically clicked into place. the L one seems to need to be forced in a bit more.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The ACD also uses the same type of adapter.

17. mesq macrumors member

Having bought the incase and only learning this now I am quite frustrated.

*edit - well it still works with the case on.. it just doesn't get full magnetism.

18. wandrer2 macrumors member

What bothers me about the new adapter is the rough finish of the cables. This makes winding them a pain, as they don't slide over your fingers.

The redesigned (North American) plug on the extension cable is a beauty, though!