New ACD 24"-Made for MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Habusho, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Habusho macrumors 6502

Ok, so on the apple store web page, it says that the new Apple Cinema Display is made specifically for the Macbook family. This is kind of confusing. So is Apple possibly planning a line of displays for people not using laptops? Any idea?

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

The new displays say they are for macbooks because they have three plugs that plug directly into the display port, usb port and magsafe port on the macbook which provide power to the laptop and obviously display and usb to the display. The magsafe means that you don't need to plug in the ac adaptor when you sit at your desk, just plug it into the monitor.
    (Edit: It also has speakers, display port supports audio too)
    To answer your question I don't know about their plans to do monitors without those features but I assume they will continue to produce them for mac pros etc.. I think it will be a matter of time before they release the new monitors with the standard connectors.

3. goobimama macrumors regular

The new 24" LED display has a DisplayPort connector, which currently no other computer supports. So until other laptops and computer manufacturers implement the displayport, you are stuck with using the monitor with your MacBook/Pro. Of course by then some cable converters will also be in the market, but currently, there's no choice.