New ACD anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jmrnavydoc, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jmrnavydoc macrumors newbie

jmrnavydoc

Does anyone have any idea if apple is going to update the ACDs anytime soon? I've been waiting to buy an external monitor to go with my MBP -- looking for something in the 23-24" range, using mainly for photo editing. I've heard the ACDs are one of the best considering price but it's been a while since an update. Also thought they may add a built-in isight to complement my MBP and let me use ichat with the external monitor so i can close my notebook. But alas, conference after announcement, no word on new displays. Just curious to hear any rumors or should i just break down and get the current version.

2. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

Great question

I have been scouring these forums looking for this same information and there does not seem to be much at all out there. Unlike other products, e.g. iPhones, iPods, etc., most information on ACDs is more in the form of wish lists, not hard, cold rumors.

It's true that the ACDs have gone almost three years without an update and really need built in iSight now that the external one has been discontinued. They could also use HDMI support, too. And, in May, Steve said that all displays will be LED backlit "by the end of 2008".

Personally, I'm waiting for Leopard to get a new MBP and, like you, really want an ACD to complement it. Seems logical to me that :apple: might be waiting until the launch of Leopard to update the displays as the perfect way to show off the new OS. But, if they are waiting to update until after there are LED panels in 23, 24 and 30 sizes, it might be a long time.

My personal strategy is to wait until October and Leopard and decide then. Of course, if Leopard is not released until October 31st, that is getting fairly close to MacWorld in January, another ACD update opportunity... To wait or not to wait...

3. MacBook Jack macrumors newbie

i do photos and i got the 23" a month or so ago and i have been loving it! got a hueyPRO and it's awsum! buy now - start enjoying!

all of the updates for the ACD seemed a bit airy-fairy and ideas that seemed a long way off. all of the wish-list stuff, at the end of the day, i didn't really need.

buying with educational discount brought the price down too.

no regrets!

4. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

arn't the new iMac 24' screens better than the ACD's? H-IPS or something?

I'm waiting for iSight, LED and HDCP before I pick one up, and I feel I could be waiting until WWDC 2008!

5. Tracer macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if Apple's current lineup meet 92% of the NTSC Gamut, like the Dell?

This seems like a logical update.

Oh yea and LED Backlighting.

Tracer

6. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

So many logical updates...

... so few rumors... :rolleyes: