new ACD... made for MBooks? strange

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Nov 25, 2008.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Never in Apples campaign was there a slogan saying that ACD is for a specific kind of computer, especially a low end laptop like the MacBook. This puts me into thoughts that maybe maybe Apple has in store a different ACD this time for the MPro. A display perhaps different with mat screen, oriented for the Pro users that were disappointed with the glossy screens that Apple has implemented in all its lines Pro and nonPro!
    I know this is a wild-shot but Steve, for the love of God, you cant possibly expect pro users to work on glossy displays!
    Mercy

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple will soon see ACD sales dive among the pro users if they go glossy so something tells me you're mildly correct.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah isnt it strange that they seem to put a lot of weight ion the promo of that slogan "The first display made precisely for a MacBook", "Made for the new MacBooks" something smells fishy here!
    Of course on the other hand, Steve may be already reading this thread and laughing at me for making such a silly argument! :(

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well for the time being that marketing angle makes sense because the new MacBooks are the only thing it can connect to. I still haven't found a DVI -> mini DisplayPort adapter (which is different from the mini DisplayPort -> DVI adapter they sell so you can connect a regular DVI monitor to the new MacBooks).

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

So right now the new ACD cannot connect to nothing else other than a MB or a MBPro? Is that what you are saying?

Totally lost you on that! Can you explain with pics perhaps? :D

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes.

They make a male Mini DisplayPort to female DVI. Then you can plug a male to male DVI cord into the adapter and a display.

They don't make any female Mini DisplayPort connectors other than the ones built into the laptops.

7. pionata macrumors 6502

Yes... It's so ridiculous it's almost funny. It's almost like they are scared of selling too much of it. They sell iPods compatible with windows but their new apple cinema displays incompatible with their own computers sold the same year.

I bought the best MBP I could in 2008 just before they decided to go glossy only and ruined the design with the black keyboard and no-firewire. I'm actually pretty angry my computer is incompatible with the new monitor, but hey, Dell sells a nice and cheap 30", so does HP now - too bad Apple, you lost me there.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ That is mostly subjective opinion. More than 80% of MBP owners love the new design and keyboard. And there is FireWire. It makes no sense having two FW ports on a laptop, no matter if it's for pros or consumers. FW 800 is backwards compatible with 400. How many times do you use both FW ports or even one at all?

Matte is pure crap. Glossy is JUST (read only, nothing else) glass. No special coatings or anything. Matte uses a special coat on the TFT (read thin film transitor) LCD panel to minimize the glare and obstruct the lighting. Seriously, if you people who constantly whine instead of design are real pros, you'd do the best with whatever you have, regardless of PC or Mac, matte or glossy.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Notebook displays are crap, be they matte or glossy. If your doing design for a living then hook up an ACD or equivalent S-IPS panel. CRT's are still better than LCD's for colour work, all glossy glass.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

My friend where theres smoke theres fire. If we wine there must be some truth to this, maybe not at a very pessimistic extent but the glare that glossy displays produce is very irritating. Im sure it bothers almost everyone, the issue here is at what extent! Well for a pro YES the extent is large!
    End of the line.

11. waw74 macrumors 68030

Connects to the Air also,
    and for all 3 only the models that came out this fall.