New ACD no Mac Pro connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ljones, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ljones macrumors regular

Will this new display connect to my mac pro? Reading over the details of the site, it doesn't appear that it will. Unless there is some adapter or secondary plug.

2. ceres macrumors regular

There is an adapter you need to buy. It doesn´t come with the new LED Display.:mad:

3. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

Will the adapter work both ways? I see the MBP has an optional Mini Display Port to DVI adapter. I assume that is to connect the new MBP to older monitors with the DVI connector. Will this allow you to do the opposite though, connect a DVI video card output to the new ACD?

4. ljones thread starter macrumors regular

I think i will wait until after mac World. The fact that they have just one released today and targeted at the laptop user... there are likely more models to come with features most Pros need.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

I looked at the Apple Store, and didn't see an adapter. :(
    Maybe they haven't released it yet. :confused:

6. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Maybe there will be an adapter, but it looks like the new LED display is geared to be paired with the new MB/P's; build in magsafe for laptops, miniDisplay connection...

7. ljones thread starter macrumors regular

8. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Can anyone confirm that the new displays will not work with a Mac Pro? That's a pretty terrible decision if true. Also, are the new displays still IPS or have they been downgraded to PVA or even TN panels?

9. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

From the Apple web site...

Mini DisplayPort
    The LED Cinema Display connects to your new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air with the ultracompact Mini DisplayPort connector.

No connection to anything without a mini display port. I believe the adapter cable options they have listed with the new macbooks are to connect new macbooks to older VGA or DVI monitors. There is nothing yet to indicate an adapter will be available to connect the new LED ACD to a DVI video output from an older computer.

Of course I would not be suprised to see them revamp the entire ACD line now so things could change. Sooner or later Mac Pros will be able to connect to some new LED ACD. Will that be through a DVI to mini display port cable or will there be a new video card with a mini display port output?

10. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Apple's product page even states the new MB, MBP or MBA is required.

So as of now, its incompatible with anything (everything) else. Too bad, because it looks like a nice display otherwise.

I can understand Apple's move to DisplayPort - supports dual-link DVI resolutions (2560x1600) and audio (multichannel digital and/or analog) over a much smaller cable. Also supports HDCP like the HDMI spec does, though who knows if Apple has enabled it or not.

However, the lack of compatibility with every other computer Apple's made to date is just asinine. While someone will probably come out with a $100 adapter like for the old ADC-style connectors, to wait this long to update the displays then make the one new display compatible only with the three newest laptops seems like a typical Apple misstep.

Where's the LED-lit 20"? Surely Apple should have know that not everyone will want a $900 display for their $1500 laptop. A $600 20" display seems like it would fit in to the range nicely.

And why not at least refresh the look of the 30"? Even if it needs to retain its CCFL backlight and DVI connector, it should have at least had its panel replaced with new ones like in the Dell 3008WFP and taken on the new appearance.

I have a first version 30" Apple ADC which is having issues (and is long since out of warranty). I'm using a 24" LG 246W for the time being, which I must say, has a far superior picture to the old 30". I was hoping for a refreshed Apple 30", but may buy a Dell 3008WFP instead.

11. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

I just discovered the existence of the new mac books and these new ACDs about 20 min ago.. and came to the boards to see if this is for real. I'll say now this is the first thread I've read so if this is already well b!tched about in other threads I apologize for not looking before posting.

So..

I can only hope there's a better line of displays on the way with DVI, HDMI, component, USB, memory card slots, and possibly even VGA and S video. For the money these are just .. not economical. Pretty, perhaps.. but c'mon.. for the price tag these are just an absolute joke as far as options! I'd say the appropriate price tag on these is $399. This doesn't even begin to compare to a Dell 24" (and plenty of others) which is disappointing considering how long they've been on the market. Apple.. what the hell are you doing? I'm probably, hopefully just jumping the gun here. Yeah that's gotta be it, otherwise someone in charge of marketing needs to be tossed.

PS No firewire on either the MB's or these?? Are they kidding, especially on the MB's.

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Yes, there is a whole new line of displays for the Mac Pros and previous gen MacBooks. These will have multiple inputs, anti-glare screens and lower prices. The new line of displays will, oddly enough, all come with a Dell logo embossed on the front bezel instead of an Apple.

13. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Sarcasm aside, 900 bucks for these is just whacky, whatever may come. The outdated 23" ACD at the same price is far superior in everything except being "green." Oh it's smaller.. big deal -same resolution.

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Question: I can't seem to find the 20" or 30" displays on the Apple Store. Have they been dropped? I heard something about the 30" being dropped somewhere.

15. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Still there

16. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

17. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea its pretty much as if this display was to be paired solely with the notebooks. will have to wait and see if they refresh the rest of acd's or whats going on

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple is clearly going for the top-of-the-line displays. I have a ViewSonic display because they're much cheaper for the size. The whole concept of integrating the power between notebooks and and the ACD is pretty neat, and I can definitely tell a difference on an LED-backlit HDTV.

I can also tell you that I don't know anybody who owns an ACD that doesn't also own a Mac, so using a new connector that won't work with Joe's Dell isn't a big deal. He probably bought another monitor anyway. I don't plan on getting one of the ACDs, but it would sound like a neat idea for my parents since it's less stuff to plug in.

Basically, if you want the biggest yet most affordable display, look elsewhere.