New ACD question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chrisbkreme, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Chrisbkreme macrumors member

Hey guys, I was just gearing up for college with a new computer (air) etc. I purchased the Apple Cinema display at the store along with my air, as the quality of apple displays are great, and it will be used instead of the air's screen for photo editing and multi-tasking, video etc. I have now been reading about the new Thunderbolt display. I was wondering if i should return the ACD (purchased a day ago) to order the new ATD? Is the ATD a lot better? How much of a difference is there between the webcams? Thank you very much in advance.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Nobody knows for sure as they've yet to be released, but the ATD has an HD webcam. I'd assume the quality would be significantly better. Also, with the ATD the Thunderbolt port is used as the primary connection to enable USB, Firewire and even a gigabit Ethernet cord to be attached. I'd definitely go for the ATD.

3. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

My only concern would be that i have taken it out of the box and used it, no damage of course, and I bought it a day ago.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

5. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks! Also wondering about the likelihood that I won't be able to use the ATD with any PC or gaming system?

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

The ATD cannot be (currently) used with any PC as they all lack thunderbolt connections. The ACD however can be used, as long as the video card has either MiniDP or DP output.

7. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

So it is not likely that a converter will be made to use an xbox or PS3 on the ATD either?

8. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

I'm trying to figure out if the difference is a big enough deal to convince my parents about the return, packing it up and bringing it through the mall. thanks again for all your help.

9. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have read on numerous occasions that the new Thunderbolt Displays will not be compatible with older macs that have only a mini display port (i.e. the pre-2011 macs without thunderbolt). This may be a consideration for you if you have any pre-2011 macs that you may consider using this display with in the future. I have a few pre-2011 macs at home that I am not considering to upgrade, so for me, I stuck to the ACD instead of the Thunderbolt Display.

10. Chrisbkreme thread starter macrumors member

I have only the new 2011 mac now, but my considerations may lie towards the gaming systems I mentioned. However, they will only display 720p on this display anyway, maybe making it pointless to begin with, leaning me towards the ATD.