New ACDs at MWSF?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by badlydrawnboy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Have there been any rumors about this? I'm thinking about buying a new ACD, but wonder if I should wait a couple of weeks and see what's available. What do you think?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

At this point, unless you need (or really want) something right now, prudence would dictate waiting a couple of weeks -- until after the MWSF keynote.

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, probably right. BTW, why do the 23" ACDs get such poor reviews compared to the 20" & 30"?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry, but I don't know.

Somebody else will need to chime in with an answer.

5. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Due to some ****** testers and testing procedures?

The apples panels are still the top dogs if you use them for professional working-to-print or video. Period.

But many or most reviews have a different angle,they are concentrated on a normal consumer type of view.
    There the panels dont fare that well,because consumer market has a bit different needs. Higher saturation,multiple and different kind of ports and gizmos of all kind are preferred.

This tells something about Apples 23" incher.
    More and more video professionals use the 23" and Matrox MXO for broacast quality videomonitoring, skipping to have to buy a 25.000€ sony reference monitor...

So,if you are are pro/sumer get the display now if you need it.
    If you are a consumer,look for other cheaper brands or wait untill the MWSF keynote and watch what comes out.
    IMO.

6. chelsel macrumors 6502

Doesn't a good color calibrator fix the problems with the 23"... i.e. make it more consumer friendly? Or is it a problem with the hardware, such as the contrast range?

7. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Well, some professionals have said that the apples ACDs are that well calibrated that it is recommended that unless you are a super-groovy professional that know his shizniz,it is better to leave it alone.

The results that I have personally seen from self calibrated displays (tried to be calibrated for photography/pre press use) using Spyders and likes, have been really shaitty. I mean,really,really shaitty.
    Only one display that was calibrated by are top-pro that is doing it professionally,looked a tad bit better than the original.
    I am at the moment in a enviroment with few photographers and it has 12 ACDs atm,ranging from 20" to 30". None of them are calibrated. All photogs work for ad agencies and mags. The final fine tuning are done in the press anyway,so you dont usually power over it anyway.

So if you are pro, you know the deal,but if you are a consumer,dont bother tuning.

I mean,the display itself are usually good out of the box even for pro use.

So,the contrast range of the ACDs might be lower than its competitors atm,but it might actually be good for pro use(a bit over simplified).
    For consumer use, no frigging big deal.

Get a display that suits your pocket,fits your field of use connectivity wise (ACDs have reallys ****** and restricted connections atm and pleases your eye.

Just my 0.2€.

8. timestamp macrumors 6502

The panels in the ACD are out of date at this point. 23" panels are dead. 24" H-IPS panels are out there. There is a new 30" panel from LG (which went into the new Dell 30").

They are no longer the top dogs IMO. They are out of date and behind NEC, Lacie and Eizo. They are also priced too high for what they are.

If you are a pro it is within your best interest too wait. As newer panels are here and should be going into those displays. Panels that will offer better specs and better color.

While we don't know if they will be updated it is about time that they do. I hope they do though, as well as the Mac Pro as I am ready to drop down for a Mac Pro and 30" ACD.

9. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

That's really interesting. I'm a photographer and I rely on a color-calibrated workflow. I use a Spyder/Pantone i1 Display with my 17" Apple LCD and get almost perfect WYSIWYG results with an Epson R2400 printer. I have to say your comments about the problem calibrating the 23" ACD scares me. I'll have to look into that more, because if I can't calibrate the monitor to give me good results with my printer it's pretty much useless to "upgrade".

10. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Dont worry. Obviously you can calibrate if you have the knowledge as you seem to have.
    It is fairly straightforward to calibrate direct printing stuff,like you said you do with your printer.
    But the problems arise when people start to calibrate for press.
    Most people dont have a clue about the client/end setup:the paper,correct cmyk profiels,ink quality,runspeeds etc..
    On the top of that,they go and "adjust" their monitors...

So,if you are doing display-to-prints in a controlled enviroment where you can controll your workflow,by all means calibrate! Then you can get the most of your display.