New ACDs Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eyecool, Apr 14, 2008.

1. eyecool macrumors regular

This is a thread for those of us who want to see the "new" Apple Cinema Displays go on sale tomorrow. Tuesday April 15th, 2008.

Personally, I'm going to make a 1 hour pilgrimage to my favorite Apple store in Dallas where at 10 am I will buy the newly released 23" ACD. It is way more than I originally planed to spend for a monitor but my 2008 mac pro needs it. 15” LCD, 17” LCD, 19” CRT... these displays are not the chosen one.

Here is a little poem I wrote for the occasion.

Ode to my new 2008 ACD (to be)

Oh ACD, oh ACD
    My dock has grown long and strong now.
    Oh ACD, oh ACD
    Please shine me with your royal wideness.

Oh pretty monitor with built in iSight,
    I will take you home and play with you.
    You will be my guiding light,
    To the world I bring before you.

If you aren’t there, I will despair.
    Beat my breasts, pull out my hair.
    It’s just not fair, if you aren’t there.
    Don’t let my eyes be Dell on earth.

Oh ACD, oh ACD
    Please let tomorrow bring a hooray.
    Oh ACD, oh ACD
    I don’t want it to be just tax day.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Apple_Cinema_Displays

Last Release: April 04, 2007
    Days Since Update: 376 (Avg = 230)

2. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

So what makes you think that this Tuesday of all the Tuesday's for 317 days that there will be a new Cinema display range?

I've heard no rumours, and we always hear rumours when somethings gunna happen.

Sorry man, but it's unlikely.

PS: Your poem is weird and creepy. Please take it down before I start hurting myself.

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

get out much?...

didnt think so

4. eyecool thread starter macrumors regular

Total shot in the dark on my behalf, but I have the faith. 52 tuesdays per year. Why not tomorrow? The timing would be perfect for me.

5. eyecool thread starter macrumors regular

Rawwwrrrr... this is a funny thread.

We're not all confined to the Glasgow Dungeon's basement.

6. ceehjayem macrumors regular

Wishful thinking. I hope they will come out as well!

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I came by your thread and almost nearly had a heart attack because I just bought a 30" ACD today which I'm absolutely in love with and saw that new ACDs!! So I checked the macrumor.com's homepage and no rumors.. whew~~! I'd hate to carry the 30" back to the store for an exchange...

8. eyecool thread starter macrumors regular

Man, I congratulate you on your purchase and apologize for the title. I should have put a "?" at the end of the title.

Your situation does bring up a good point though. If they release a new one, will Apple give you a credit? If I go ahead and get one tomorrow but the new ones are released a week from tomorrow, do we both get credits?

Considering how bendable Apple was with just about everyone who got early 2008 Mac Pros, in early 2008, will they bend with the displays?

Then again, are they even going to refresh their displays any time soon? Should they? If they came with built in iSight, I'd say "NO!" They are perfect, why refresh them. But they don't, so I'm hoping for an update. $100 price drop would be nice too.

Am I dreaming? Ya, probably. But until then, what else am I going to do? I need a widescreen now! I found a 24" MVA display for not much. If the Apple store doesn't have the new ACDs tomorrow, I'll probably go to the other place and buy it. When the iSight ACD debuts, I will buy it. Or do I go for the 23" ACD anyway?! See!!! It's decisions like these that have me chasing my tail.

9. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

Oh I wish - I have been waiting years for new Apple Cinema Displays.

Please Apple, come on and launch the new monitors. Half current pricing would be great!

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Of course it's not going to be that much changed in price. I don't get this urgency in the new monitors being released. All of the major machines have received a recent refresh and they don't use any of the new display connection standards for example.

And one of the reasons of the (debatable worth) certifications of the Apple monitors is that unlike Dell et al they don't pop out with a new one every year.

What is it you 'new ACD's now?!?' guys are looking for in a refresh, apart from totally ridiculous expectations? I'm curious. I've avoided these threads before but you got me.

11. eyecool thread starter macrumors regular

Spring fever? Since Apple charges tax on everything to everyone, it would boost the economy? I don't know?

I wish it had iSight, thats for sure. Knock the 23" price down to $799.

12. eyecool thread starter macrumors regular

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

A refresh would be great for Canadian citizens. The price of the MBP dropped by quite a bit with the recent refresh due to the value of the Canadian dollar. The iSight would be a welcomed addition as well. I'm perfectly happy with my 17" display for the time being (no desk space for an ACD :(), and depending on the Canadian price drop, I might look into getting a new ACD when the new ones come out. Though I think if the ACDs get a refresh, it will be at WWDC and no sooner IMO.

14. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

It doesn't look like it. Not this Tuesday. Wait for next tuesday.

The Stig

15. eyecool thread starter macrumors regular

LOL

I'm still making my way to the store today, just in case it was a behind the scenes thing. I may have to get the 23" anyway. A Mac Pro without an 8bit, widescreen panel is not too fun.

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Apple charges tax on everything to everyone? Huh? If you mean the so-called "Apple Tax" theory that Apple's stuff is more expensive, yeah, I guess so. If you mean actual governmental tax, then think again. There are a few places where there is no sales tax (Oregon, for one,) so Apple doesn't charge any tax. If I buy a new Apple product, not a penny goes directly to the government. Yeah, I'm helping boost Apple's bottom line, which theoretically increases their tax burden; and I am participating in keeping some workers employed and paid, and therefore there is payroll tax paid; but there is no money going directly to the government as a direct consequence of my purchase.

17. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

Cool. Then it will only be $400 more than a lot of great 24" monitors. Think different, indeed. :D

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Am I the only one who put that poem to the tune of "O Tannenbaum"?

19. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

The two most likely updates the next ACDs will see will be HDCP and LED back-lighting. LCD panels with LED back-lighting are now available from Samsung in 20", 24" and 30" sizes, but they make the original ACD prices look cheap:

~$1600 for the 20"
    ~$2300 for the 24"
    ~$4300 for the 30"

Those prices will come down as more LED back-light panels reach the market, but even Apple will be hard-pressed to sell a $2000 20" ACD, a $3000 24" ACD and a $5000 30" model. :eek:

As such, I think we might not see new models until Mac World 2009 (along with Blu-Ray across the "pro" line).

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nope, I did too..... too funny.

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man those are some steep prices especially for the 30". I guess even if the led backlit ACD's are released the current line will do just fine for 3-4 years and then I'll pick up one of the led models when they come down in price by that time to the prices of the current monitors =D

22. mgsarch macrumors regular

you have some strange buying habits man.

23. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

All I'd like to see changed in the 23" ACD is... make that cable running out the back REMOVABLE and more easily replaceable if damaged.