New Actviation with credit lock on file

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by downwardspiral, Jul 17, 2008.

1. downwardspiral macrumors newbie

I lucked into getting two 16GB white iPhones yesterday at lunch. The Perimeter Mall Apple store was not supposed to have any in stock according to the Apple website. However, they received a mid morning shipment of 56 white iPhones. Although white was not my first choice I decided to wait in line for an hour to get two of them.

I decided to get two new numbers vs porting the numbers from Dallas where I recently moved from. The Apple lady helping me out with the activation was very nice. The account set-up process on the first line took a bit of time as I had placed a lock on my credit file.

Upon receiving the notification to call AT&T because of the credit lock, the Apple employee called the Credit and Activations hotline and spoke to them for a couple of minutes. Then my old phone began to ring. Surprise. It was AT&T calling to make sure it was ok for them to open the new account. The lady on the phone was pleasant and very thorough in asking detailed questions to verify my identify. As soon as she gave the green light the Apple employee hit OK on her handheld device and a few seconds later the message "Activation Complete" appreared on her screen. She then went to a computer to un-brick the first phone.

Activating the second phone was a breeze. She selected the option to add a line to an existing account. Input the Family Talk options and voila….seconds later…."Activation Complete." The Apple employee also un-bricked the second phone.

I was very impressed with Apple’s and AT&T’s ability to process these transactions quickly. The activation occurs in stages and the AT&T provisioning part of the process was very fast and the un-bricking process was super fast.

I know others have had problems with both AT&T and Apple. However, my experience was excellent.

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yeah, I had a lock on my credit back when I got my original iPhone.

The iTunes activation wouldn't work and wouldn't tell me why. AT&T couldn't tell me over the phone either. Ended up going to an AT&T store and finding out the lock was stopping the credit check (which is what it's supposed to do). I had forgotten that the lock was on there. :)

Thankfully I had my phone with me so they could get the credit check done and I was all set after that.

This is a case where in-store activation works better. Although, AT&T could have resolved my issue over the phone if they were setup to actually help their customers.