New Admin User Account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GulfVetSAF, Feb 21, 2012.

1. GulfVetSAF macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Hey! In the process of setting up my old iMac (getting new 27" tomorrow) to sell on eBay. I am running OS X Lion 10.7.3 on my iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (4 GB RAM).

Problem:

My plan is to delete my old user accounts (securely) and created a new administrative account for the buyer. I have tried several times to create a new Admin account but when I attempt to log in that account, I get the spinning beach ball.

I have done several things to trouble shoot it: I changed it to a standard account (and was able to log in weirdly enough). I deleted it and created another Admin account and had the same thing happen... I have tried restarting with the same results. I enabled the guest account and was able to log in there as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

Why don't you do a clean install with the OS the Mac came with (or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard at least)?
    Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is tied to your Mac App Store (MAS) account, if you upgraded the iMac with Lion yourself.

3. GulfVetSAF, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't answer my query. First, and most importantly, I just like to know how to resolve issues like this should it arise again in the future. For example, some times, when using an application you run into errors... to see if the app itself is corrupted or something in the user files, you can create a new admin acct and run the troubled program in the new account... if it works, something is wrong with the other account etc. Also, it will obviously be much more efficient to simply create a new user account... then it would to install a fresh OS, reinstalling all the updates and software (which can take hours). Secondly, I am selling it with Lion as well as an assortment of some pretty good software (as this has always encouraged buyers to bid higher when selling in the past).

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Since there is no way to transfer the license for Lion, you cannot legally sell the computer without restoring the original software that you can ship the disks for. In addition, I really hope you're shipping the disks for the other software you're leaving installed, because otherwise that's also illegal. The best thing in every case is to wipe the drive and sell the computer with only the original software, or to include the original disks for everything you leave on the drive. For your own personal data's sake, I'd zero the drive before selling it anyways.

jW

5. GulfVetSAF thread starter macrumors member

GulfVetSAF

Thank you for the lesson in copyright infringement. I am sending all the disks with the computer and will be zeroing out all the free space on the drive as I always have in the past.

Now, can anyone address the actual issue please?