New AE or TC - which to buy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by majkom, Jun 30, 2013.

1. majkom macrumors 65816

Hi, I do plan to buy new MB air and either new AE or TC, but can not decide which one to buy.

I understand that new AE supports Time machine on usb drive attached to AE - so it means, that if I have drive, it will save me some bucks just to buy AE and use it as time capsule. Is that right?

Will there be any difference in transfer speed (comparing TC vs AE with atached usb drive)?

Is AE better wifi router than TC, or are they totally same (speed, signal coverage... etc).

Main benefit I see while using AE with attached usb drive is, that in case AE or TC fails, with AE solution, only router is being send to apple for repair and my personal data stay home on the usb drive, while with TC solution, I have to send all my data on the internal drive to apple...

any suggestions?

BTW, are there any known issues with new TC or AE? or do they work like a charm?

thx.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you hit here on about the only benefit with the AE. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same. I have the new, tower TC and it works perfectly for me.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I would assume the internal SATA attachment of HDD in TC performs much better than the USB 2.0 attachment on APE. Data throughput-wise.