New AEBS "Real World" Dual Band Performance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tmackgt89, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tmackgt89 macrumors member

I am looking to buy a new AEBS to replace my Linksys WRT610N. The Linksys has dual simultaneous 5 & 2.4GHz capability as well, but suffers from constant disconnects and issues with both radios on at the same time.

My question is to those of you that have the new AEBS with this capability and are actually using the dual network option. Have you had any problems with the new Apple unit? Any disconnects or other signs of flakiness? Thanks in advance for your help - I just don't want to make another $179 mistake like I did with the Linksys.

2. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Good question. I was all high on the new AEBS, but now I'm hearing that wireless N in dual-networking mode won't quite be Wireless N. MOre like Wireless J.

So I await some tests too.

3. paragonj macrumors member

I'm using the new Time Capsule and haven't had any problems.

4. gwihannom macrumors member

There's been so many threads already, issues with 5GHz and it's performance. 5GHz doesn't penetrate through walls and such as well as 2.4GHz does. So even with a dual band mode, you would end up better with 2.4GHz if your location has walls and floors, etc.

Replacing your Linksys with AEBS doesn't make sense for this reason. Now, if you had problems with your Linksys because it was defected, that's another issue, but AEBS performance will be pretty much be the same as your current Linksys.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Except faster because it's an Apple.:p

6. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Unfortunately my house has walls and floors. I'm thinking I'll rip out the floor and that may help a bit! :)

7. macleod199 macrumors 6502

The real advantage for 5 GHz is in apartments - relatively small space/few walls, and also surrounded by all sorts of 2.4 GHz noise - other WiFi, microwave ovens, portable phones, bluetooth, etc., etc.