New AEBS: Separate SSIDs for G and N?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dXTC, Feb 8, 2010.

1. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Hi all!

About a week ago, I purchased the Airport Extreme Base Station, the 2009 version with Simultaneous Dual Band, from my local Apple Store. It's doing its job quite admirably; whereas my old "G" router was only giving my iMac (one floor down and ~50 ft away) maybe 60% signal, the AEBS gives me near 100%, with no dropouts yet.

I have read elsewhere in the forums that the "G" and the "N" portions of the AEBS can be configured such that each has a separate SSID. Unfortunately, neither a regular Google search nor a MRoogle search turns up any instructions for doing this, and neither does a search of the Apple support site.

Does anyone know of a site that might have this? Links, copy/paste, whatever is available is appreciated. (I'm considering an :apple:tv, and I would like it to connect only via N.)

Also, is there any way to set bandwidth limits on the Guest Network? I'd like to open that up for friends who occasionally need to check something, but I don't want someone leeching all my bandwidth.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hi dXTC,

The new AEBS/TC allow you to give a unique SSID to each frequency, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. To clear any confusion, the 2.4 GHz spectrum does not have to be strictly wireless g. It can be mixed b/g/n, n only, b/g only or a combination thereof.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

Page 22. Navigate to that section in AirPort Utility and check the box entitled "5 GHz Network Name". The SSID in the main Wireless preference pane will be the 2.4 GHz frequency's SSID.

As for the guest network, there are very limited customization options available for it, and unfortunately bandwidth restriction is not one of them.

3. dXTC thread starter macrumors 68020

dXTC

Thanks, skorpien. I overlooked that section somehow.