New Aerial Video Shows Ongoing Apple Campus 2 Construction

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Construction workers in Cupertino are making slow but steady progress on Apple's spaceship-shaped second campus, according to a new aerial video shot by drone pilot Duncan Sinfield and shared with MacRumors. Shot just this morning, Sinfield's video offers an updated look at the current state of construction.

The foundation of the ring-shaped building has been completed for several months now, with multi-level structural components now going up. Work on the parking structures is progressing, and the auditorium, where Apple will host events, is also taking shape. Much of the auditorium and the available parking will be below ground. Next to the parking structure and the auditorium, work on the Tantau development has begun, where research facilities will be located.

When completed, Apple's campus will feature a massive 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building, an underground parking lot, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, a 120,000 square foot auditorium for hosting events, and as we learned earlier this week, a visitor's center complete with an observation deck, cafe, and Apple Store.

The entire campus will be covered with hundreds of trees and orchards, and inside the ring, there will be a central garden with outdoor dining areas for employees. According to the most recent update from the City of Cupertino, Apple is still on track to complete construction at the end of 2016.

Article Link: New Aerial Video Shows Ongoing Apple Campus 2 Construction

2. AngerDanger, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

3. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

4. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

This new video gives a great perspective on the scope of this project...MASSIVE!

5. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I'm looking forward to seeing Apple's first keynote from here.

6. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

The building looks pretty small...--says no one ever.

It still amazes me when I look at the size of the new campus.

7. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

8. thasan macrumors 65816

Anyone having problems playing it in iPhone/iOS? I can't play it from iPhone 6 safari. Gives me error :(

9. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

10. DanielSw macrumors 6502

DanielSw

Nope. Worked fine for me on my 6+ in Safari.

11. Lapidus macrumors regular

Lapidus

Why did I watch the entire video. You could see the same in 1 image. Feel so stupid now.

12. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Early on, I seem to recall Apple mentioning that new construction techniques had to be developed for the close tolerances needed. But by looking at the (obviously distant) construction photos, it looks like it's being built with fairly standard materials (mostly concrete) in fairly standard ways. Maybe those tolerances were for finishing work, not the structural components (though knowing Apple, they'd take a lot of care with the design of the structural pieces as well). Even so, that really is a massive construction site. Until this video, I hadn't really been able to comprehend the numerous other buildings besides the main ring.

13. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Apple seem to be going round in circles.

I guess there's nothing new under the sun.

14. themuseboy macrumors member

themuseboy

I got dizzy between the music and the fast moving circle shots.

15. subjonas macrumors 68020

I wonder if there's a particle accelerator under there.

16. szw-mapple fan macrumors 68000

szw-mapple fan

It might be divided (structurally) into several parts to withstand earthquakes though. That is the case with several doughnut buildings of this size.

17. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

Music is horrible.

For those interested it's just loops from GarageBand put together to make that "song".

Construction site is awesome.

18. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

The video is awesome but I can't bear to watch it to the end....because of that awful music

19. ricci macrumors 6502

ricci

Music would have been fine if you just give that guitar loop a rest! I had to mute it half way! From a music producer, theirs just to much material to use to only have one continuous guitar loop! Video is great!

20. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Actually this is pretty interesting from an architectural standpoint.

It's even more clear than in the plans that the building is actually many units separated by vertical circulation cores. A collection of buildings just connected by glazed atriums to create the full circle.

You can see now how teams will be divided by 'building' so no one person will ever really have to make the trek around the campus Some entirely different team will be working independently on the opposite side of the campus. So as much as Apple says they are integrating development, I think this clear segregation of departments and teams will only serve to increase the competitive and dislocated way that Apple often work on products.

However spatially, the only real groans you'll be hearing from employees are the poor buggers who work on the opposite side from the cafeteria. :p

21. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I'm sure there will be an indoor tram car or something that circles around. Or they might have a food court in each building or something so you don't have to walk around.

Then again, our campus has 11 buildings and only one place to eat. At least the walk isn't bad if its a nice day out.

22. macs4nw, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Holy Mothership..... the ultimate exercise in 'go big or go home'..... hard to fathom that building, before even being finished, is already too small.....

23. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

That drone is obviously operating outside FAA mandated limits. The operator should be prosecuted.

24. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

One small upgrade upon completion to add a deployable environmental dome, and it's a self-contained biosphere.

25. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

I appreciate the effort, but thumbs down to the dreadful transition effects and terrible "music". The usual drone whirring sounds would have been so much better.