Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
She's still a complete tool and makes a damn fool out of her cheap self every day. Money...

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
They didn't sell out like she did. Those people did those things because they felt like doing it, and were all, except Madonna, original.

Gaga is as copy-paste as anything in the music industry today. People like Michael Jackson may have incorporated elements from their childhood heros, James Brown in his case, but this is going a bit far:

3LuJ
3L8I

Besides, put Gaga, Freddie and Michael on a stage with nothing more than a mic and a spotlight, and the only person that would have to take anything off to get any attention is...well you know that.

She has proven that to be famous, you just have to throw crap in your hair and people will call it "trendy" no matter how ridiculous it is. She may think she's being unique by wearing ridiculous crap, but she's committing celebrity suicide because she has no trademarks, and she's not the first to wear weird sunglasses.

That's how you define a star, a ubiquitous trademark. Michael's rhinestone socks and glove, Freddie's questionably ambiguous outfits, James'...uncalled for random exclamations (HEY, hit me! Saxaphone-uh! Get up!) and Elvis' Jumpsuits and karate kicks.

People like Gaga are dispensable. If they fall off the charts, nobody misses them and their gap is easily filled. Who cries about Simple Minds breaking up? Or When in Rome? Who remembers these people?!

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
"IMO, the only good music to come out after 2000 was created by bands from the 90's and earlier (with a few exceptions). It just seems to me that most bands just sound like everyone else now-a-days." -OP

That is not true at all. I hate to say it, but if you can't find good music, you're not looking hard enough. For every electronic musician (I do have respect for them) there are 5 bands making music with "real" instruments. Every decade there are those who believe that what they grew up with (i.e '90s and earlier) is the best music, the only real music, etc.

(If you are looking for "real" music, look to Indie rock. With so many different bands out there, there is something that you will enjoy. cokemachineglow.com, pitchfork.com and brooklynvegan.com are all good sites for this)

Age - 16. (Proceed now to disregard all that I have just said - I'm only 16:rolleyes:;))

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Impossible, I've found music and movies today and from DECADES before I was born that are perhaps the best yet.

Theory reform needed*

Vidder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
New Jersey
Sure, anybody can push some buttons and tweak some knobs, but then everybody can hammer a piano, get a sound out of a trumpet (I should know) or sing under the shower.

It takes way less talent to create electronic music then it would to create music from a piano or trumpet. I'm not sure what credentials you have to make you say "you should know." But who ever passed you in your music lessons was just as ignorant as you are.

A line of electronic music sits in front of you on a computer screen. It allows you to go back to exact locations in a song and edit it until you get it perfected. How is that the same (in any way) as playing a song on a piano without screwing it up? Using an instrument to play an entire song, (flawless) takes years and years of practice. You can edit a line of music on a computer in one day...its not even close to being comparable.

You don't want a discussion on the topic, you only want people to agree with you and all others to shut up.

Did you read my first post?
(Ok, let me have it...i'm sure i'll get beat up by all of you cool, bad ass, 'instrument-less' music lovers.

I didn't plan on many people agreeing with me. I'm simply bringing some thought to the subject.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
It takes way less talent to create electronic music then it would to create music from a piano or trumpet. I'm not sure what credentials you have to make you say "you should know." But who ever passed you in your music lessons was just as ignorant as you are.

"I should know" since I am playing trumpet for the last 10+ years now, while at the same time I am making electronic music for a hobby. Now tell me, what background are you drawing your facts from?

Vidder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
New Jersey
"I should know" since I am playing trumpet for the last 10+ years now, while at the same time I am making electronic music for a hobby. Now tell me, what background are you drawing your facts from?

and you are honestly telling me that making electronic noises is just as difficult as making quality music with a trumpet? You gotta be kidding me!
And its common sense dude.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
Meh... It's all subjective.

Electrification took much of the talent out of music. Automate the bellows on an organ to make it easier to play. Distort the sound of a guitar to cover up sloppiness.

The soul of music was removed with the advent of recording. Someone messes up, just do another take. There are no do overs in front of an audience. Also, the ease of access and expectation of perfection of recorded music leads to lower appreciation. A recording sounds exactly the same every time it is played. Live music is never the same song twice.

Oh, age: 43

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
and you are honestly telling me that making electronic noises is just as difficult as making quality music with a trumpet? You gotta be kidding me!

No, what I am telling you is that it takes as much skill playing a good tune on a physical instrument or writing a great song as writing a good piece of electronic music and not just clicking and tweaking knobs like a lab chimp.

But let me emphasize something for you...

[...] electronic noises [...] quality music

And herein lies the problem, since apparently you don't even seem to be willing to accept something like quality electronic music could even exist. Maybe you should listen to some AIR, Sigur Ros or Trentemoller rather than the stuff that gets played on the radio all of the time and gives dance music a bad reputation.

And its common sense dude.

Where I live, it's called an "opinion". Maybe you should look that one up in the dictionary.

[edit] You still didn't tell us whether you play any instrument or ever attempted to write a track yourself. Well?

(29 here)

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
I wouldn't say all music sucks, just those crappy genres that keep getting all the attention :rolleyes:

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Yes, as it would appear, stupidity is the fad that's defining the 00's and now the 10's.

I can't say there is anything else defining these decades, seems we're just taking all the good things from the last decades and recycling them.

Vidder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
New Jersey
Where I live, it's called an "opinion". Maybe you should look that one up in the dictionary.
- I actually said "in my opinion" in the very first post....again...maybe you should reread my posts.

[edit] You still didn't tell us whether you play any instrument or ever attempted to write a track yourself.
Well?

I don't. But i've attempted playing instruments...it was very difficult and so I stopped. But I think either way...thats irrelevant.

Also...my main concern with the story here is that the **** music is becoming popular and not the good stuff. If there is good electronic music (which i doubt i'd enjoy anyway) i never heard it because the bull***** seems to be the popular stuff. ANd i'm certainly not going to search out and see for good electronic music, because i think (IN MY OPINION) electronic music is a waste of time and IN MY OPINION requires way less talent then physically playing an instrument.

Also, you kind of brought attention to my side of the story. The good stuff is less listened to; or unpopular. THAT is my point; THAT THE BULL***** STUFF is the popular stuff...and in that, we seem to agree. So you are pretty much getting upset for no reason.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Also, you kind of brought attention to my side of the story. The good stuff is less listened to; or unpopular. THAT is my point; THAT THE BULL***** STUFF is the popular stuff...and in that, we seem to agree. So you are pretty much getting upset for no reason.

I am getting upset because of your generalization about the quality of electronic music and the skill it takes to create something worthwhile. I do agree that the bad examples get all the attention, though.

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
techno, and slop

shut up.

Take your ignorant comments back to the dark ages. It takes just as much skill and talent to make good music whether your using a guitar and live drums or a synthesizer and a computer. Good music is good music.

There's a lot of music I don't like, especially some of the pop/r&b that's rammed down my throat when I go out, but I can appreciate when a tune is well produced even if its not my cup of tea.

:confused::rolleyes:

And you don't even play an instrument or make your own music. So why make such broad statements on a subject you have no real understanding of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX_r0u3uzE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHsCGRP6dtM&feature=related

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
People like Gaga are dispensable. If they fall off the charts, nobody misses them and their gap is easily filled. Who cries about Simple Minds breaking up? Or When in Rome? Who remembers these people?!

(raises hand)

Hey, I remember both Simple Minds AND When In Rome! (WIR recently had a reunion tour, by the way.)

I just turned 40 last month, and I was in my teens when these two bands had their major hits. Another '80s mainstay, Howard Jones, inspired me to teach myself synthesizer playing and programming. I'm a better programmer than player, admittedly, but I tend to use MIDI and synths rather than sample loops in my compositions.

Only pre-2000 artists doing anything interesting in the electronic genre after 2000? I must disagree. I'm a big fan of Modern Synthpop, and my iTunes library has plenty of nicely-crafted electronic pop and dance music from recent artists. (Provision, Rename, The Dignity Of Labour, etc.)

Gaga and Ke$ha? Sure, I've seen that before. Remember Stacey Q?
Okay, that's not entirely fair, I know. I've seen Gaga perform her song "Speechless" live, and she's not bad when doing solo acoustic piano pieces. I think she does that to prove that she's not just a mannequin for the producers of her more synthetic hits.
Autotune? I used to diss it, but realized the hypocrisy, as I enjoy several bands that extensively use vocoders such as Kraftwerk.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
You know, maybe it does take equal effort to write good and bad songs.

Yeah, I think it was as difficult for Katie Perry to string together a syntactical sentence, (I kissed a girl, and I liked it.), as it is for Paul Anka to write classics like, "My Way."

Remember that kid in your English class that you thought could not be more stupid, each time they read aloud? If not, then you are Taylor Swift, erm, I mean, you are that stupid student.

I was reading, though not writing, more than one year before beginning kindergarten. In fact, my teachers asked that I help the other students to practice with flash-cards, alongside the adult tutors. I have spent my grade-school years surrounded by, what I can only describe as, special-needs kids whom were admitted into normal classes, subsequent to lowered standards.
I could never understand why these students struggled so apparently, when learning words that I had personally used for years. I can recall the tenth-grade vocabulary. I remember the word, "deter," having been pronounced, "deeder," by both the students and teachers. I was baffled! At the time I thought, "these...these people are about to be unleashed upon our roads and highways! I should start shopping for insurance..." How is it that students, at the age of sixteen, had not the word, "deter," in their vocabulary?

I am concerned, now, more than ever. I can't help but feel betrayed by this nation when I witness exceedingly-dimwitted kids in our malls and playgrounds, only to be told they are of normal intelligence. Oh buddy, intelligence must be a depleting resource.
My neighbor's eight-year-old couldn't form a sentence as proficiently as my four-year-old niece, even if his, "binky," depended on it.

I am disgusted that parents are so detached from their children and rely on television to babysit. Their behavior as parents is leading to more and more cases of symptoms described as autism.
Autism is nothing more than a mental disorder brought on by a deficiency of human-interaction at a young age. Is it not odd that there is an exponential increase in the number of people that can be described of as autistic?
How many people, of ages beyond thirty, can recall attending a class with so many as TEN dopey-introverts? In my day, the only kids with such social disorders were of lower-income and tumultuous households.

I can understand that it appears I hate stupid people, but this is not true. I honestly could not describe one person whom I hate. People do not deserve to be hated for any reason.
I am, however, furious at what passes as parenting today.

Turn off Bob The Builder, your kid is ten-years-old, ffs! You aren't a parent! You spend every Friday out with your spouse, drinking it up and enjoying your self. A parent would never be so selfish! Get your frat-boy-ass back home and teach your kid to use a slingshot, you immature horndog! What example are you setting for your kids with those socks and sandals? Either become an adult when you have a child, or keep your wick in your pants until you can resist the urge to stock your refrigerator with wine coolers and Jell-o shots!

And that's why Taylor Swift can be considered a song-writer by today's standards :D

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Tell you what, you should all just listen to John Mayer. ;):D

In all seriousness, I am a musician - I have played the piano for 11 years and the guitar for 9. I do music A level and music tech A level at college. Let me point something out to anybody who has previously said differently - Making electronic music is not easy for the average person. I have had a couple of projects which involve me making electronic music, the first of which was simply to recreate another electronic song as closely as possible to the original, and it took weeks and weeks before I finally got it to a point where it sounded remotely like what I was trying to get it to sound like. And the second project was to put a song into a different genre, like a remix type thing... and that is even harder than the first project.

Now people in this thread have said that it's easy to make an electronic song, but this is only partially true if you have a natural ability to creating that sort of music. Many of the 'good' musicians (as I'm sure many people in this thread would refer to them as - the people who create songs using guitars, pianos, vocals, and acoustic instruments) have a natural talent at whatever particular instrument it is that they play, which is why they are able to make good music. To them, it could well be very easy to write music. Just as easy for somebody with a talent for MIDI to write a good techno tune. So no, not just anybody can go out and write electronic music and get into the charts.

OP, you have shunned electronic music because of what has been given for you to listen to by the media. You have been too lazy to give it any sort of a real chance by going and finding the quality music of that genre and actually taking the time to listen to it and appreciate the work, effort and talent that goes into writing it. I don't even listen to the radio or look up the weekly charts, because I know the majority of it is garbage. You have to help yourself in this world.

Hopefully from this post you will realise that making such broad generalizations about things you have no clue are not such a good idea.

If nothing else, maybe you will just go and listen to John Mayer and all will be well ;)

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Hey, when you play an instrument for years and it is an extension of your creativity, the difference between laying down a recorded track and sequencing MIDI lines becomes negligible. I play guitar but recently started working with synths. I sometimes use it to add to a song but sometimes the entire song is electronic instruments. In composing music, what's important is what is heard, not how difficult playing it is or how skilled the musicians are.

JacobCampbell

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
New York, NY (USA)
Every age have their music. But there is only one kund of music for all time - Rock (Hard, Metal, it doesn't matter). It was Backstreet Boyz someday, was US5, N'sYNC, Brytney. Where there all now?? Right, in ASS. But such bands as Queen, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden always will find their fans. It's immortal music

Vidder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
New Jersey
Every age have their music. But there is only one kund of music for all time - Rock (Hard, Metal, it doesn't matter). It was Backstreet Boyz someday, was US5, N'sYNC, Brytney. Where there all now?? Right, in ASS. But such bands as Queen, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden always will find their fans. It's immortal music

thats a hell of a point. These pop artists do seem to all eventually fade.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Yeah, but considering the number of tools born every day, bands like Iron Maiden, Guns 'n' Roses and Lynard Skynard will remain "cool" (haha) forever, for not doing much at all...no...not much at all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.