New Air, battery completely dies overnight

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sou1 so1di3r, Oct 11, 2013.

1. sou1 so1di3r, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Brand new MBA... like 2 weeks ago. It was 100% yesterday at 5:30pm, closed the lid and didn't touch it all night. this morning is totally dead. Same thing happened yesterday too.

No powernap on battery. I wonder if it has something to do with my works encryption software I just installed....

Is there a way to check logs to find that out?:confused: Or anything else I should check. I really think it has something to do with this software, PGP, since the 2 weeks prior were fine.

edit: so I found logs... this is repeated a lot...

2. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

You answered your own question. Deep six that software.

3. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

What do you mean? All those logs lead me to believe something going wrong with my gmail calendar? I don't understand because powernap is off.

Technically I'm required to have this encryption software installed, but if it really is PGP I'll remove it.

4. robanybody macrumors newbie

Bought mine in June. Put the order in as soon as the online store was opened. This never happened to me until I installed the battery firmware update that got released two weeks ago. In fact it happened for the first time the night after I'd installed the update. It also turned off my timed "go to sleep" setting.

Turning that off and on again appears to have cured that element, and resetting all the sleep settings appears to have fixed the other problem whereby it just wouldn't go to sleep if you shut the lid. Worth a try, but very poor coding from Apple.

At least with Windows you get the opportunity to decide what happens when you close the lid.

5. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

weird... ok I'll reset those settings. I just installed another firmware update this morning, something to do with bootcamp issues on windows 7 and 8 though...

6. robvas macrumors 68020

That log shows it attempting to hibernate, gives you a file error, then wakes right back up.

Just use FileVault.

7. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I don't really have a choice in the matter.

Any ideas why the hibernation is failing?:confused:

8. robvas macrumors 68020

Your encryption software is probably causing the hibernation file creation error.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Brand new except you installed other "stuff" that broke it.

10. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Can you not remove it long enough to do some testing to see if thats a problem?

11. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Yeah I should be able to try that tomorrow. If it is dead in the morning I will remove the software and see what happens.

Just figured I'd ask around first

----------

Now I'm hearing more that it is a known issue with new MBA and SSDs

12. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I could not decrypt the drive, PGP software was messed up. Luckily I had my TM backups and just wiped my drive and restored from before the PGP install.

yay:D