New air compared to 2008 original

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by agent mac, Oct 8, 2012.

1. agent mac macrumors newbie

Dear Community,
    I'm writing now on a slighly dented but otherwise perfect, original 2008 Air. 1.8 Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 64Gb Flash Drive, the little flap covering the USB socket etc. It's more than time for an update, not least as it won't even run the latest operating system (although is that a bad thing?).
    If I upgrade to another air, I'll max out all the specs, like I did with this one, but can anyone tell me what the real world differences will be to this original machine. You see all the lovely bar charts in the reviews, but they're only comparing to the last version.... Comparing a new 2012 air to an original 2008 air, what will I notice. Obviously it will be faster...anything else?
    Thanks,
    Josh

2. KPOM macrumors G5

It will be like night and day. I had the original 2008 Air and the November 2008 Air. I currently have the 2012.

The SSD alone makes reboots extremely quick, and loading applications almost instantaneous. It's far better than the SSD that was on the 2008 models (my November 2008 model had the SSD). The CPU is in a completely different class altogether (imagine a 4GHz Core 2 Duo), and the GPU is more advanced. Plus the 2012s do not have the heat issues that the early 2008s did. Even the base model will be significantly faster. Also having 4 or 8GB of RAM makes a big difference when you are running multiple applications.

Since you are jumping from the early 2008, you can save a little money and go with the Core i5 rather than spending the extra $100-$150 on the i7.

Are you looking at the 11.6" or 13.3" version? I have the 11.6" version (i7 with 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM).

3. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I too have the i7, 8GB, 256GB SSD, and love it.

Never really used the 08 properly, was out during my "I hate macs" period.

Had a play in a store once, but I must say, 4 years is a big gap, so you will notice a screaming difference.

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

ive just sold a broken 1.6ghz original air for a friend, my god it was slow as **** compared to my 2012 pro with ssd

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I replaced my mid 2009 1.86GHz Air with a OWC SSD in it a few months back with a 2012 i5 Air, and the difference is stunning. Honestly, it is like night and day.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Devil's advocate here.

But it u don't know what ur missing, maybe that's a good thing as new things costs$$ If money is no object when well, why does one even have to ask. ;)

I (the sensible bean counter in me) asks what I cannot do right now with my current machine. In my old machine it was Google Earth, and Flash Videos, it was so slow that it wasn't usable, and still, i said I don't need to watch videos. The ball dropped when everyday web pages took forever to load and multiple web tabs as I like to do maxed out my cpu all the time, and that's when it happened.

7. 0x000000 macrumors 6502

Even the difference between 2008 and 2010 was like night and day. You won't regret it.