New Air express weirdness.....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aussieinjapan, Oct 18, 2010.

1. aussieinjapan macrumors member

Hi,

I'm just wondering if my New Air express unit is actually used or was a demo model. I had some weirdness when setting it up.

I bought one from Nojima (a Japanese electronics retailer) last Sunday and after taking it home found the box to be empty. I know I know - that was stupid on my part but here in Japan, you don't expect that to happen at the big retailers.

I went back to the shop and they exchanged it for one in the Apple section, I checked the box and everything was in it etc (but it was not shrink wrapped).
    I also made sure that they didnt Just take the display one.

So I got home and my Imac failed to find the express which was working (green light) but After turning on Airport and checking for connections, one came up at 100% and a name, Fransis Igura's network - i could not access it as it was greyed out. Ive never seen this network ever and as all of my neighbours networks come up as numbers and with strenghts less than 70% - I found it very strange.

So I reset my express and boom, everything worked ! fransis disappeared and as of now, I haven't seen the network listed...

So Do you think my express is a used one with the previous owners network setting still saved ???

Next time, Im buying only from Apple

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes! It sounds like you've been sold a "used" one. Personally, I'd take it back and demand a new shrink-wrapped one - or a 100% refund.

Edit.
    Just read that you've managed to erase reference to the previous "owner". Now it will probably be difficult to prove what happened! If it's working ok - put it down to experience!!

3. aussieinjapan thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I reset it using a paper clip (like it stated in the user guide). thanks for your advice - I'll be buying from the Apple store now