New Air, questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alexis0070, Aug 16, 2013.

1. alexis0070 macrumors newbie

Hi, new member here, got my i5/8/128 haswell MBA today. The Blackmagic disk test shows 306-317 Write and 717 Read. Is the write speed low? However the macbook seems to be ultra fast, with 16+ hours battery life by the virgin boot! No choppiness at all, may be a little on huge facebook scrollings :). The question is:
    Let's say I would like to install Mavericks soon. But I want to install software on here (Mountain Lion). Is there a way to move the software from MLion to Mavericks during the installation?
    Thanks, sorry for my English.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Unless you do a "erase and install", all of your (compatible) software will transfer to Mavericks...you don't have to do anything.

3. Dessureault macrumors member

your speeds are normal for a 128GB! enjoy your new MacBook! ;)

4. alexis0070 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it better to do erase and install? Or just the same? Suggestions?

5. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Just do an upgrade. OS X installs are very robust. Make sure to backup first!

6. yliu macrumors regular

I don't think there will be any compatibility issues upgrading to Mavericks and you dont need to manually move any files. Everything is automatic, all your files will be untouched.

I actually recommend you to avoid erase and install method. All it would do is wear the SSD.

I got my iMac since Leopard (10.5) and made 3 OS upgrades to Mountain Lion and never lost a single file.

7. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i agree with your advice but i don't think that wearing the ssd is a legitimate concern or should play into the decision on whether or not to do a fresh instal vs upgrade.

8. fark macrumors regular

This is OSX, not Windows. An erase and install is a waste of time, but it's your time to waste.