new Air versus Refurb macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by focout, Jun 11, 2012.

1. focout macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a new machine to replace my old macbook. As the new model has been released today, choice of purchase has been tailored down to the following two:

Option.1: The new macbook air 13'' with 1.8g-i5 and 128G ssd, which I can buy at a price of HKD 8788 since I' m a university student;

Option.2: I am also thinking of buying a refurb 13'' macbook pro with the old i5 2.4g, the price of which is 7188. I' m thinking about replacing the hard drive myself with an SSD of 120G, which will cause an additional 1000HKD.

Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you so much!

2. atMac macrumors 6502

What tasks do you intend to perform?

Unless you do heavy video/special effects editing or heavy gaming the Air will fit your needs.

If you aren't sure what you may be doing with it, or worry about storage the MacBook Pro would be for you.

Since you plan to put a 120GB SSD in the Pro I assume that storage is not an issue to you. In which case I say, get the Air.

3. focout thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much!

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

What about plain 'ol consumer video editing (as in typical family videos on AVCHD)?

5. atMac macrumors 6502

It would depend what you are recording in and how often you plan to do it.

If in very high bitrate 1080p and very often, I'd go Pro, probably 15in.
    If often but professional quality, then you can get away with a 13in.
    If not very often, and just an ok quality(720 or DVD), Air will work fine.

There are some people here that have used FinalCut on an Air. I wouldn't recommend it, but you can do it.