New Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jstntch, Jan 3, 2012.

1. jstntch macrumors newbie

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought an Air. I got the 11'' 4GB/128. This morning I get to work and my current HP computer dies on me (5 years old). I was originally going to buy a refurb from Apple but I didn't want to wait for shipping. So I go to Best Buy. After a little haggling I get them to "find" me an open box item. They give 10% off open box items. So not bad I get it for almost the same price as an Apple refurb. I have 14 days to return it.

So the sales associate tries to sell me the warranty and service plan. I hear him out but know I'm going to go with Applecare. He tells me he'll give me an additional $100 off the price of the computer if I get the $500 service plan TODAY. I think about it but decide against it.

I then hear another sales associate tell the attractive girl next to me that they are giving $100 off all open box items today. So basically the sales associate that was working with me was lying and telling me that he would give me $100 off only if I bought his commission boosting service plan today. Needless to say I didn't get the service plan. With customer service like that i'll stick with Applecare.

I was told the best buy service plan covers normal wear and tear and accidental damage but since the guy was already caught not being truthful I didn't want him to get the commission. I know it's discussed throughout the forum but if anybody has an opinion of applecare vs best buy i would be interested.

Anyway, enough ranting, i ended up paying $984 total (that includes tax). Not bad

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

One of many similar threads is here best buy versus applecare ...

Best buy is struggling right now ... apple is not ... personally I went with applecare ... I doubt that many kinds of accidental damage will be actually covered by best buy.