Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Not even. 1.2.

1.19. That’s how I rate em. And even though I ordered them I’m going to send them back with a dirty letter and deprive myself until The final ultimate version in space black and Satellite gray is available :).

Actually I’ll probably try them first And if they are as good as version one I’ll be happy

beq

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Any credence to the rumors that this new one will have a less slippery finish to better stay in your ears (one rumor mentioned a non-slip matte coating)?

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Any credence to the rumors that this new one will have a less slippery finish to better stay in your ears (one rumor mentioned a non-slip matte coating)?

That is probably the most important comment of the entire thread for some people. I’ve never had one fall out and I joke that I could play football and they wouldn’t fall out but I know for a fact that my main guy at the office has a problem with them and they just won’t stay in his ears. Apple should figure that out somehow and make it so that every person can enjoy the freedom of these awesome headphones.

I think what it is is that some people have larger ear canals to the point that the AirPods just fall out.
[doublepost=1553136406][/doublepost]
No USB C?

Pointless Id say The case charges up in no time in the airpods themselves charge off of that in no time too.

Let’s say you are a person who never had any iPhones or anything but you just want AirPods because they are awesome Bluetooth headphones in and of themselves right now. I guess you would have to go get yourself a lightning cord or whatever it is they charge the iPhone with or use a chi charger.

So many millions of these cords exist. It’s not a dealbreaker for any consumer

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Here we go again typical tactics since Tim Cook took over. New product instead of new features and upgrade from previous generation. It becomes a new product for a much higher price. I used to remember when a new product comes meaning with new features and the same price as previous. Making the older product discontinued but supported for a couple more years. SMH!
There are new features for this product... and it's the same price. You only pay extra if you want the wireless charging case... Did you even read the article?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Wireless charging is cool obviously, but the biggest improvement to the AirPods in this update is Apple's margin.

Reactions: HJM.NL

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Ok, cool to find a few more benefits of the H1, ie faster and more stable connection, and up to 30% less latency. As a huge fan of Airpods, I think I might have to get this one, anyone that uses these daily will surely appreciate these improvements, even if they seem minor.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Real talk: When using AirPods with the Mac and you scratch your ear and it activates Siri and you cancel and then the audio on your Mac resumes and it sounds like it’s being pumped through a cordless phone from RadioShack in 1993 and you have to manually disconnect and reconnect using the Bluetooth menu to fix it.

When will they fix that BS?

Mac4Fun

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2016
Florida
I used these most every day for about a year and a half. The batteries get weaker and weaker.
I now get an average of about 4 minutes playtime on the left Airpod!
4 Minutes! And only 30 minutes playtime on the right Airpod, and that just isn't good enough. I called Apple Support and they were irritatingly unconcerned about the problem - they were suggesting I buy another one. $160 seems like a decent price for these Airpods, but if you use it a lot, as I did, they're worthless in less than 2 years.

The worst part of talking to Apple Customer Support, is how they make you feel like they really really *really* don't care about your experience with their products.

Last edited:

GetSwole37

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
It's the exact same price as the previous generation and it has new features. Just in the mood to complain?

It’s exact same price ..if you get the non charging case. However, they just hooked you on extra cost for wireless charging. That’s the big problem. It should not be extra. Technology improves and technology gets cheaper.

I’m keeping my iPhoneX for at least 3 years. I’m done with them putting something out and raising prices when reality should be about same cost.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
1. How do you switch between using these with an iPad and an Applewatch or iPhone? How does it know which device to pair to?

2. How far can you be from your phone for phone calls?

Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It’s exact same price ..if you get the non charging case. However, they just hooked you on extra cost for wireless charging. That’s the big problem. It should not be extra. Technology improves and technology gets cheaper.

I’m keeping my iPhoneX for at least 3 years. I’m done with them putting something out and raising prices when reality should be about same cost.
It's interesting how cars don't get pricier with newer models that have more or are better...oh wait.

RickGrimes

Suspended
Mar 9, 2019
The articles says the originals aren’t on Apples website anymore. They show when you click buy. You have the option new, old or just the wireless case.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Remember when the same technology would get less expensive over time?

Gen 1 AirPods, though I love mine, are overpriced for what they are..especially a few years after introduction and remaining unchanged...

This would have been a good time to slightly cut the MSRP on the Gen 1's honestly.
$129 (g1)/$169 (g2) would have been good.

Side note:
My Gen 1's only last 2 hours max on a full charge now.
That doesn't get me super excited to go fork out for new ones (or either model).

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
I think it’s a good question because I have two sets of AirPods and I lost the case on one of them and I have not charged these two AirPods in my airliner bag they’ve just been sitting there uncharged for about eight months. Now I see it’s possible to buy just a case for them. I guess you always could but I just figured I would wait for version two.

Anyways now I will probably get rid of my version one AirPods The set that I use for cycling and stuff like that I noticed only gets about 1.5 hours maybe a little bit more of battery life And the other almost virgin set that I lost the case for I don’t know what to do with them but I just hope I don’t end up mixing them up with version two. There must be someway to tell Version two from version one

Name them in About, and then display name on demand.
[doublepost=1553142031][/doublepost]
Most people are saying these are down to about an hour of battery life in just a year.

So obviously the solution. Buy another pair...
Hmmm..

You can order replacements when battery wears out.
Ditto for lost units.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I was waiting on the new pair but got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger a few months ago.

Don’t regret it. Siri is so painful anyway, if anything I saved myself some frustration

Ya and who wants to use siri to change the volume etc in public where people will most often use their AirPods. Don’t mind having the feature but better volume controls would be nice.

Last edited:

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Ah, but when I say “hey Siri”, do all of my devices still attemp to fulfill the request at the same time, creating total confusion?

Maybe fix that issue, Tim Apple.

Seems fixed since it now will try at first on both but then automatically stops on my iPhone and prioritized my Apple Watch

Reactions: BuddyTronic

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I love how we're all concerned about the "names" of these little chips they put in each product..
It's like a little piece of false validation about the products..

"Ohhh yeaahh Bill - this one has the new H chip in it!"

"No s***? Instant purchase for me now! - You too?"

"Absolutely!! I was just waiting on the latest H chip to finally be integrated! There was no way I was buying with that old W chip in there!"

"But W is further along in the alphabet..."

"Yeah, but that doesn't matter - Apple says the H chip is the hotness now...get onboard bro...Plus the W and H were confusing... I almost bought a Watch by mistake because of the W chip branding, ya know?"

Reactions: HJM.NL

kognos

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
No USB C?

Nosir.

Not to pick on Apple in an Apple-centric forum, but USB-C serves only one purpose right now in the Apple ecosystem - to allow a pseudo-desktop-replacement appliance to act like it has compatibility like USB-C does in the rest of the planet. Apple gains no value in any reason to adopt USB-C except to provide 3rd party compatibility to a limited subset of vendors. Its not even real full support (hello USB storage!)

I don't predict USB-C to come to iPhones or iPods or their appliances until after there is a unification of the MacOS and iOS API, and even then it's sketchy. This is only in the iPad Pro line, where they want to make you believe that it might replace your real computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.