Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes continues to report that new AirPods are forthcoming.

A paywalled preview of the report claims that suppliers of "Apple's upcoming AirPods series" are more worried about the COVID-19 pandemic affecting demand of the earphones than the virus impacting the supply chain. AirPods sales could be affected by factors such as closed Apple Stores and increasing calls for people to stay home if possible amid the pandemic.

AirPods-Pro.jpg

Apple released higher-end AirPods Pro in October 2019 with several improvements over regular AirPods, including active noise cancellation, improved sound quality, and water and sweat resistance, along with a new in-ear design. AirPods Pro are priced at $249 in the United States, while regular AirPods with a wireless charging case are $199.

Earlier this month, it was rumored that a new entry-level version of AirPods Pro will enter production by the second quarter of 2020, but no further details have been shared. It has been speculated that the earphones could end up being third-generation regular AirPods with the same design and sound quality as AirPods Pro, but without active noise cancelation. Apple released its second-generation AirPods on Wednesday, March 20 last year.

Launch timing of various rumored Apple products is uncertain due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Article Link: New AirPods Again Rumored, Launch Timing Uncertain Amid COVID-19

LordCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
Based on the release of the new Beats, I wonder if this will be a daily release week... I guess we'll find out soon. Seems unlikely with all the turmoil, though.

Comment

nattK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
The Upside Down
I hope they release their high-end headphones soon though. This is a great time to release a pair of high-end noise-cancelling headphones when everyone's working from home lol

Comment

alexandr

macrumors 68020
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I hope they release their high-end headphones soon though. This is a great time to release a pair of high-end noise-cancelling headphones when everyone's working from home lol

yup, cause outside construction noise is nothing compared to your kids seeking attention)

Comment

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I don’t the need for another model of AirPods. There’s already three models available. It looks redundant...

Comment

Joniz

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
Someone may have already mentioned this, but I would guess they’re just the standard AirPods with the Pro tipped format. Which would be fine by me.

Comment

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Someone may have already mentioned this, but I would guess they’re just the standard AirPods with the Pro tipped format. Which would be fine by me.
Actually that makes complete sense. Then they have something in the lineup to compete with the Galaxy Buds +

Comment

BulkSlash

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
I just hope this isn’t the end of the regular AirPods design, the Pros just didn’t fit my ears but the originals are perfect. Plus I prefer the less precise tapping gesture over trying to find and squeeze the stems when exercising.

Reactions: tearsen
Comment

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wow if this thing continues into the summer, imagine the wait times for an iPhone! Apple already drag out production to drive up demand - should be some long wait times given the shutdowns going on currently.

Again - this won’t matter if the global economy implodes, which I’m filled with the sense it may.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Wow if this thing continues into the summer, imagine the wait times for an iPhone! Apple already drag out production to drive up demand - should be some long wait times given the shutdowns going on currently.

Again - this won’t matter if the global economy implodes, which I’m filled with the sense it may.

At this point, there won’t be any ‘wait’ time for an iPhone, because C/19 will drown a large part of the economy where a recession 2 will surmise, and a lot of businesses/jobs will suffer because of this. Some of us excellent job security (As in L.E. By my example), but for a large portion of Americans/other parts of the word, The iPhone will be completely prioritized last, I can guarantee that.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.