New AirPort Card = New Logic Board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krashton, Jul 14, 2010.

1. krashton macrumors newbie

Took my less that 2 year old MBP to genius bar because getting online was getting sketchy. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't, sometimes it would just take a waaaay long time. Diagnosed with needing a new airport card. Fine, dropped it off expecting to pay around $200. Picked it up today and they had put in a new logic board, as well. Good news, no charge, at all. Bad news, still sketchy trying to get online. Taking it back tomorrow, but can't help but wonder why the heck they would do that?!?!

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Do you have AppleCare on it? Maybe they determined it was a logic board issue, and they neglected to replace the AirPort card as well. If they have done more than 3 major repairs (display assembly or logic board) on your machine, you may get a free replacement with something of equal value. Be sure to make an appointment before you go to the genius bar tomorrow!

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure the AirPort card is part of the logic board. I don't think you can replace one without the other. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am not sure about the newer models. I have an old 2007 MacBook and I disassembled it and I noticed that the AirPort card is a separate part. I have a new 13" MacBook Pro (specs in sig) and I am afraid to disassemble it, because I still have a warranty on it.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Also, are you absolutely sure that they put in a new logic board? Usually, replacing a logic board requires the genius bar to send the computer to a repair facility. When the logic board in my white MacBook was replaced, the people at the Genius Bar sent it out to Houston, TX to be repaired.

6. krashton thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't believe the AirPort card is part of logic board, because I walked out with my price estimate of $173 (w/o tax) that was just for the new card and labor. I have my appt. made for tomorrow afternoon. No, apple care either. I just felt like it was strange for them to replace it for free. Regardless, it still isn't working right . . . or there would be NO complaints from me!:)

7. krashton thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Alpha, that's what they told me they did. The bill would have been around $1400, but they didn't charge me anything.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Was that on the paperwork that they handed you when you got your machine back? If it wasn't, and the person who gave you the computer back told you this, they may have been mistaken.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

do you have other computers connected to the same network? maybe it's your router and not the computer.

10. krashton thread starter macrumors newbie

Alpha, the invoice says " PCBA MLB 2.2 GHZ REV2" When they added that to the original invoice it bumped the labor up to "hardware repair level 2"

AC, yes there are other computers, a macbook & a PC and they both work fine.

11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

it sounds like they replaced it for the graphics card. do you have the 8600gt.
    I just sent mine in for a hd repair and they also replaced the logic board even thought it passed the graphics test and was working fine.