New airport Express Hardwired to Access Point

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dasbrook, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Dasbrook macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have cable modem wired to a new Airport Express(AE) downstairs as my primary wifi base station providing internet (DHCP) for all my notebooks, IMac, PC and iOS devices. I have hard wired using network cable AE's Ethernet port to a Belkin router F5D7230-4 WAN port that is upstairs (which was my earlier wifi router) that has a printer and ip camera connected to its LAN ports. I changed the Belkin setup to make it as an AccessPoint (AP). From this point I want help to configure all setup so that I can print from any of my wifi notebooks and also access the ip camera. I have the Airport Utility(6.3.1) in my iMac that I used to configure the AE for wifi.
    Now what network settings do I need to have in AE and the Belkin AP to make this two talking and work successful?
    Does AE connect to non apple device/AP?
    Can someone provide a step by step detail that will be of great help and much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ColdCase, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

You need to hardware the AE to one of the Belkin LAN ports (forget about the Belkin WAN port) and it should just work with no additional configuration. Everything you have is on the same LAN except the AE to cable modem which is your only WAN connection.

Your wireless devices can either get to the internet via the AE or Belkin wi-fi (you did assign a different wi-fi network name to the two devices right?). You can turn the Belkin w-fi off if you don't need it.

Now if you wanted the Belkin to do more router functions, and create another independent LAN, you would use its WAN port... but that's not what you want.