New AirPort Express nightmare... HELPPP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rexone, Apr 2, 2015.

1. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Okay, I bought a new AirPort Express to replace an old one (wall-plug type) that I've moved to another part of the house.
    I've set a number of Expresses up before & never really had a problem but this new one... total nightmare.
    So far I've probably spent over 8 hours trying to get it set-up. The first one was so wacky I & Apple assumed it was a DOA & replaced it.
    Now the new one is causing me all manner of grief.
    Basically it just wont connect to my wireless network no matter how much I try to tickle it.
    My modem (ISP supplied) is a Netgear CG3000v2, my old AirPort Express connects no problems but this new device just won't connect.
    I reset the APEx but to no avail.
    Totally tearing my hair out here.
    Any gurus out there have any ideas about how to troubleshoot this?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Have you tried backing up the settings on the old one and then restoring them to the new one?

3. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Brian, yes, have tried that & still won't work. Just making very little sense.
    All settings and passwords are correct, this is after all supposed to be a totally simple device to set-up.
    I should add to I'm only trying to get it to join my existing network to run AirPlay speakers & a second printer. Nothing more complex than that.
    I'm wondering if it's something to do with my wifi modem only being 2.4...

4. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Okay... I happened to have a NetGear WNDR3700v4 dual-band router sitting around so late last night in a final act of desperation I put my wireless cable modem into bridge-mode & then set my whole network up again...
    This morning I got around to trying the AirPort Express set-up again...
    Set-up & functional in under 5 minutes so somehow, somewhere the fault was with the NetGear CG3000v2 modem not wanting to talk with the new model AirPort Express.