New Airport Express - not right

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by summitwynds2, Oct 28, 2015.

1. summitwynds2 macrumors newbie

summitwynds2

Hello,

I've had an Airport Time Capsule for awhile now and the internet in my house is not good. We have to be in the same room with it to get wi-fi. I had a few older Airport Express's which did no good extending the signal, so I purchased a new one. The only way I can get a wireless signal (green light) with the Express is to be practically right next to the time capsule. This just doesn't seem right. Could it be a problem with the Time Capsule? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

FYI - The Time Capsule is connected to my cable modem. My desktop is connected via ethernet to the Time Capsule (or can go wireless - Time Capsule is about 8 feet away) and is getting good speeds. 63.82mbps for wireless and 65.23 connected via ethernet. We're stuck in one room with our iPads, laptops and phones because the wi fi won't work in other rooms.
    Thank you.

2. summitwynds2 thread starter macrumors newbie

summitwynds2

Forgot to mention, the Time Capsule is the flat version not the latest.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Impossible to say with that information and you'd have to troubleshoot to determine the cause. It could be the construction of your home. It could be issues with your wireless network hardware. It could be interference from other sources and/or other WiFi networks.

4. summitwynds2 thread starter macrumors newbie

summitwynds2

Thank you. I'll mess around with things. I know the construction of our home could be a major source (its a log home), BUT.... it used to work pretty well with older hardware (various airports). No other wifi networks nearby (live in a secluded area). I'll stop in to Apple and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

6. summitwynds2 thread starter macrumors newbie

summitwynds2

Thank you. I'll look into that option.