New Airport Express range/reliability question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ProMod, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I currently own the latest Airport Extreme and am looking at switching to the Express because of the Extreme's erratic behavior (wireless signal completely disappears, sometimes able to reconnect, sometimes not).

We have a max of about 5 machines connecting to the router at any given time. Is the Express any more reliable than the Extreme? How about its range compared to the Extreme? Based on pure specs, the Extreme seems like overkill for my application, but I don't want to get something that is underpowered either.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I would think that the extreme would be likely to have better range. It's probably got more than one antenna in it where as I cannot see the express having more than one.

You could always buy a new express and extend the range of your network. I don't have drop off problems with my Extreme.. so perhaps it's an issue with range?

3. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. I don't think I have a range problem, though. The signal goes from full to none instantly, then back up again. Interference maybe, but probably not a range problem. It is actually a well-documented issue that has been discussed here and on other forums ad nauseam.

I will probably buy it and see how it works, and if I'm not happy, eBay it.