New airport express soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Winckle, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Winckle macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get an airport express for my music streaming, after being impressed by the gigabit APEBS.

But these things are looking ancient, and they still cost the same as they ever did. Surely apple have something lined up to replace it?

What are your thoughts on this MR forums?

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

there is rehurbshed for 79bucks? seems like a good deal!

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Cheaper.

Audio in?

Act as a true bridge not just for WAN.

Gigabit would be helpful if it bridges.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Actually, they're $99 [edit: new, not refurb], down from $129 earlier.

But yes, I'm guessing an 802.11n version will be out pretty soon.

5. Winckle thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned i'm in the UK.

In the UK Apple store it costs £65 which is just over $130. I find that somewhat overpriced.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

It is.

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, you don't have to buy from a AppleStore. However if you are a student and you have your student ID you can get a student discount from the AppleStore. If not, perhaps you have a 'friend' who in Uni? Maybe He/She can help you? Alternatively, you can buy the same device from ebay, amazon or anyone other e-commerce site.

But you have to remember, the £65 includes 17.5% goods tax (a rate that's truly extortionate)...
    correct me if i'm wrong, in the US the tax is usually added on later... but it's lower!!

More of a FYI...
    I'm not sure would you still be impressed after but the UK and European version of the APEBS is actually half the speed of the US/Jpn version this applies to all 802.11n sold in the EU. However the hardware is still selling at full price, when compared to US, so... if you decide to buy a APEBS, don't buy it in the UK or the EU - Just my 2cents.

9. Winckle thread starter macrumors newbie

UltraNEO, I already own an extreme gigabit, that is why I am impressed by it. I just think the express is way overdue an upgrade.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Part of the problem is that it was somewhat ahead of it's time. They just plain did it right to begin with. They only thing it may need is a speed bump to 802.11n.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Technically and following the letter of the law you are correct, but it isn't for all EU countries.

So, if you change the country setting to Ireland or Italy for example, it will work at full speed. In fact, my UK model (and other people on these forums) came with the Irish settings by default :D

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. I can't test it right now cause mine's in the UK!
    Though, there's some photos I took of it... wonder what happens when the battery runs out?

Large Images for detail:
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1343/560963574_cead9acf29_b.jpg
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1419/561382627_fff1e3e398_b.jpg
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1064/561384103_4bf9db7daa_b.jpg

13. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Most of the gains of 802.11n come from spatial diversity. i.e. having multiple antennas. This obviously requires more space, more processing and more power... which is likely why the iPod touch and iPhone don't have it, and neither does the express. I'm not sure how spread out the antennas are in e.g. an Extreme or the Apple TV, but I'm sure one of the tear down sites has the info.

They could probably release a product that just barely met the requirements to call it 'pre-n,' but would probably still see g speeds in real life.