New Airport Express vs. Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by illicium, Mar 17, 2008.

1. illicium macrumors regular

With the express now being 802.11n what advantage does the AEBS have over it other than you can hard wire 4 computers into it for a LAN? Is the range not as good as the AEBS? Can it not handle as many connections? Why spend more on the AEBS?

2. McGiord, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The AEBS handles 50 users, the AE only 10.
    To use the AirDisk feature you need the AEBS.
    If you need wired gigabit ethernet also the AEBS.

For only $80 of price difference I think is worth it.
    ________
    free vaporizer

3. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

Not trying to hijack things here.

Is the Airport Express all I need? Like I can just plug it into my d-Link modem?

I wish to replace my D Link (wireless B) wireless router with something faster and more reliable. It seems to drop connection when ever the cordless phone is in use...

4. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I only have about 5 wifi devices in my home, so the Express should be good enough, right? I might use wireless printing, so Express is still good. I don't think I would use the wireless hard drive feature, but if I do, maybe Express can be hacked or future updated to allow it since there is a USB port...?

1. Does the Extreme have much better range or are there any other pros for the Extreme besides the disk feature? (I don't need wired ethernet access either).

2. Apple says that the Express can extend the range of the Extreme. Can an Express extend the range of an Express?

Thanks!

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

1. No one knows yet until a review is done. I would guess the range would be smaller than the AEBS if only because of the Express' compact size limiting antenna layout.

2. Yes.

6. brianmonty macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat, Airport Express or Extreme Base Station?
    I will only be using this for wireless internet access (want to upgrade to N vs. my current G for increased speed) for my iMac and my work notebook.
    Unless the Base Station will have a much better range/speed, I would like to save the $80 and buy the Express

7. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I got the new 802.11n Airport Express. Got 2 windows laptops, a Macbook and a Macbook Pro plus an iPhone. Perfect for me.. no issues with wireless, no issues with performance or signal strength. If you don't live in a 2500 sq.ft bungalow, APEX should be perfect for you.
    My assumption here is that you won't be needing the Airdisk feature. In my personal opinion, if someone needs Airdisk so badly they should go with TIme Capsule. Secondly I hate it when I have to backup/transfer gigabytes (or even a 700 MB movie) over wireless. Beleive me.. do it 3-4 times and you would be preferring a firewire/USB/Ethernet cable for transfers (It takes 2 seconds to walk up to the transferring device and saves 98% transfer time. My personal opinion ! :)