Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Airport Express with 802.11n Next Week?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We had heard reliable reports that Apple will be launching a new version of their Airport Express next week, likely on Tuesday. Apple Retail stores should have stock of the new Airport Express by mid week. The new model will be priced at the same price as the current model ($99). Though details have not been confirmed, it appears the upgrade will most likely include support for 802.11n wireless networking.

MacGeneration points to an prematurely updated description at the Swiss Apple Store that describes 802.11n Wifi support.
The Airport Express currently supports 802.11b/g networking only. 802.11n offers greater performance, more range, and improved reliability over the older Wifi standards. Apple has been including 802.11n in their computers since early 2007.

Airport Express allows you to stream your music from iTunes, share a printer wirelessly, and share your internet. More details about Airport Express itself at Apple's site.

Article Link: New Airport Express with 802.11n Next Week?

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
It's about time that the AirPort Express got updated. I guess the endless Apple updates continue. :cool:

Comment

ctachme

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
I wonder if the USB port will support full 480mbps now, and if the ethernet port will be full gigabit ethernet...

Comment

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California
I am a fan of the Airport Express. I used one for about 2 years before switching to the Extreme. It worked great for me.

Comment

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
Figures, an update two weeks after I buy one. Not that I need the new features, my network is 100MB Ethernet and 802.11g. I'm still using an "old" UFO Airport Extreme. Good to hear that Apple is finally bringing the Express in line with the new Extremes and Time Machine, though.

Comment

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Air disk support?

I hope they do it "right" and support HDDs connected to the USB port, GigE, 802.11n. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat! (Even if Time Machine isn't supported).

Unfortunately there's no hint of that in the leak. :(

B

Comment

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I just wish that Apple would make the 10.5 Front Row actually work with the Airtunes feature on the Airport Express.

+1 on that. I tried Audacity(I think it was called that, or maybe AirFoil, cant remember), but that wasnt good enough.

Its a bit of a long shot, but I'd hope they'd enable Disk Access via the USB on AirportExpress. I know it would cut into Extreme market, but one can live in hope.

Comment

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Is this like a router? Meaning can we use it to connect to the internet via WiFi?

Kinda like a router but not. It can create a WiFi network, but a computer on that network must be sharing the internet, since the Airport Express cant 'route' internet connections itself. It needs a modem to be handling all that.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Kinda like a router but not. It can create a WiFi network, but a computer on that network must be sharing the internet, since the Airport Express cant 'route' internet connections itself. It needs a modem to be handling all that.

The Express cannot act as a full-blown router (as the AEBS or TC) and the ABEBS and TC cannot stream audio. If you want both features, you have to buy both devices, great business sense Apple!

Comment

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
The Express cannot act as a full-blown router (as the AEBS or TC) and the ABEBS and TC cannot stream audio. If you want both, you have to buy both, great business sense Apple!

Its annoying, I wish that one device could do all. Isnt that normally what apple promote. I want one device that I can stream audio, have harddrive access (Time Machine supported preferably) and an ADSL Modem built in, (in the UK nearly all internet connections are DSL, cable is hardly anywhere). But no, I have to buy 3 products to get that.

Comment

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I hope they do it "right" and support HDDs connected to the USB port, GigE, 802.11n. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat! (Even if Time Machine isn't supported).

Unfortunately there's no hint of that in the leak. :(

B

Why Gig-E? The only port on the device is meant to go to a cable/dsl modem etc, which 10/100Mbps ports already exceed MOST consumer bandwidth choices .

ALSO FWIW this showed up on Apple's Hong Kong site about a month ago. I and a few others submitted an article and it never got published. Hum.

Comment

dopeytree

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
UK

So what happens when you connect it via the ethernet to a dsl modem? does it act as a bridge, resulting in you being able to wirelessly connect?

Comment

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
What does this actually do?

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

Always a good read. Basically it either connects to your existing wireless network to allow you to print to a usb printer wirelessly, and play music from iTunes wirelessly, or..

It turns an ethernet connection into a wifi connection. So your ethernet modem connects to this and it shares the connection wirelessly. Or your ethernet only computer connects to this and you can share its files/connections etc. wirelessly too.

Comment

skiwhitman

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
I currently use the Airport Express as thought my 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83 Ghz imac wouldn't support the Airport Extreme. Is that wrong as I can't find anything about it on apple's website anymore? That would be fantastic if I could upgrade to the 802.11n for my :apple:TV!!! I could stop syncing and start streaming everything on my mac!!!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.