new airport extreme 2.4 vs 5 GHz power output....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itsjustmeee, Apr 27, 2010.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to get my home networking to have as much signal as possible. I've been using iStumbler around my house and trying to figure out which settings make the most sense, but there are a few things I'm not really sure about with the newer airport extreme. Right now I have it set for dual band so that I can access the 5 Ghz for the Macbooks and the 2.4 for the iphones, but I'm noticing as I walk around my house, the 2.4 is quite a bit stronger than the 5 (and with less noise). I've tried switching all of the settings on the airport extreme (transmit power 100%, manually going through the different channels, wide channels off and on, interference robustness off and on as well) and it doesn't seem to make a real difference. If I just turn off the 5 GHz, will the 2..4 become stronger because the AE isn't dividing signals? Does it make more sense to have one stronger signal than to divide them up to get the extra speed from the 5 GHz??

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

5GHz doesn't go through walls and other obstacles as well as 2.4

I'm not sure how the extreme is constructed, but it would make the most sense to have a separate set of hardware for each of the bands. don't think there's any "splitting" going on.