New Airport extreme base station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MythicFrost, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hey, I'm thinking of purchasing a new airport extreme basestation/time capsule...

It uses the new 802.11n Wi-Fi, it's compatible with 802.11a/b/g Wi-Fi also,

I'm wondering, if I have a Mac Pro that supports 802.11g am I going to get any benefit from it (range, and speed wise), or would I have to replace that wireless card in the Mac Pro with the new 802.11n wireless card?

I'm also wondering if this will benefit a 2nd gen iPod Touch / iPhone 3G, I'm not sure if they use the 802.11n connection (range or speed wise).

My other question was, if I upgrade the Mac Pro's with 11n wireless card, if I connect a MB Pro that uses 802.11g or an 2nd gen iPod Touch that uses 802.11g, will it slow the entire network, so the Mac Pro with the 802.11n drop back to 802.11g?

Just was a little unsure about some things, appreciate it if anyone can let me know.

Kind Regards
    Me

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

The airport extreme is now dual band. So you can have a wireless b/g AND n network running simultaneously. So it's perfect for you as you will get top speed on all your products.

Your touch and iphone are wireless g.

If you want to stream video to or from your mac pro, you'll need wireless n. If you want to use timemachine wirelessly, i'd strongly recommend wireless n.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost