New Airport Extreme difference than the older one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rgarjr, Apr 4, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Just noticed there's a new one that has the dual band capability and the older one that does not. Is this the main difference between them?

How exaclty does the older one (non dual band) work when you have a MB running N and u have an iphone that is G?

When is there the N connection between the router and the MB? Or does it automatically go back to G when there is an iphone on the network?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

With the older one you run in "mixed mode". n devices will run slower though not at g speeds.

3. rgarjr thread starter macrumors 603

rgarjr

What I'm trying to figure out is..

When does the router switch over to G? When there is a G device like the iphone on the network?

When does the router and MacBook (N equipped) use the N speed?

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I think

I'm not for sure but I don't think it switches over actually? It allows both to run or broadcast in "n" mode but with "g" compatibility.

I think?

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...from what I understand, the old version runs in "mixed mode" on the 2.4 Ghz frequency so the "n" ranges/speeds are lower than on "full N" mode.

The new unit has two separate transmitters build in so they both broadcast at regular frequencies for full speed on both bands...

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Correct. It can accommodate both but the n one will run at a reduced rate but still about twice as fast as g devices.

If all you are doing is connecting to the internet, it makes no difference anyhow (unless you have some awesome huge fibre pipe).

7. rgarjr thread starter macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah all I care about really is the speed when I'm on the Internet on my MacBook. Don't really care for the speed while I'm on my local network (transfering big files and such).

So you guys suggest I just keep this non dual bander extreme if all I care is the internet speed on my MB?