New Airport Extreme = EXTREME PS3 headaches

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by emoeric, Jan 20, 2009.

1. emoeric macrumors member

The people on these forums are great and I really appreciate helping out with past problems. My gratitude is ubiquitously shared in my parents house.

Now, I seem to be having basic problems with this Airport Extreme. I wanted to ask for some help on 2 issues. I have a new 1600 sq ft house with no apparent signal interferance. My PS3 picks up 100% signal according to the PS3 in the scan option. But there is a problem. The internet begins to creep, slowly but surely. Eventually it creeps into not working at all; leaving me reconnecting the PS3 to the airport wireless time and time again. Average lifespan of connection = 4 days or so. Slowly it loses speed and connectivity leaving me with nothing.

Guess what else has a problem with this issue... My macbook pro. It lasts for about 6 days, and then just crawls. I start off being able to stream fifth element on HULU lightning quick; I end up with 1 second chops in the video feed by the 6th day. So what the heck is going on?

My setup is two devices that are using only the G network. Macbook pro (july 06) and a PS3. I am beginning to suspect that I need to somehow modify the airport to push out only to the G network. I have heard of problems with N routers and G devices. Thoughts? Solutions?

Lastly, is there some settings, port forwarding, and such to make the PS3 work better? I have scoured the internet for 3 hours, at which point I have lost hope and have come home for my answers. Thank you everyone in advance!

-Eric

2. jwilcox09 macrumors member

jwilcox09

Just wondering what ISP you have. I have comcast and I find that I experience a similar, although less severe, problem with my setup. I find if i reset my Comcast modem by unplugging it from power for a couple minutes my internet is noticably faster all around. I know this doesn't solve the issue, but it aleast helps to speed up the internet.

3. jono_3 macrumors regular

some isp block specific ports in an effort to "protect" you from internet content which has been known to negatively effect ps3 internet connections. all you have to do is call your isp and ask them to unblock and ports that they are automatically blocking, solved my problem anyway

4. emoeric thread starter macrumors member

I have cox cable and I will seriously consider calling them to release any ports they may block. I'm beginning to suspect something is wrong with my laptop. I brought it to work, tried connecting to a wireless network and was successful. Then, it would not choose an IP address through DCHP, it kept its local IP and would not let go of it. Only when I forced it manually is it now working. Warcraft 3 freezes when I try playing it here... What the hell...?