New Airport Extreme Faster Than Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Robster3, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Just got a new AE today, with speed test on 15" MBPr it is a bit faster on wifi than with thunderbolt into my tp-link w8980 and wifi off. I could tell before i did the test so tried it and come up with below. Is that right?

AE. ping 31, download 16.66, upload, .81

tp-link with wifi off on mbpr, ping 29, download 15.8, upload .77

2. opinio macrumors 65816

Your using an internet speed tester to test the speed of your local network?

But still..

What is the rating of the ethernet cable between your T-bolt adapter and the router? Try CAT6. If you are running CAT5 then it is possible the ethernet is slower than WiFi. Although none of that should make any difference with your internet speeds.

3. Robster3, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes a cat5, so a cat6 cable would be better? can you get 40/100 cat 6?

4. opinio macrumors 65816

CAT5 is slow. CAT 6 operates at GbE (gigabit (T1000)). Not sure what you mean by 40/100?

5. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

NBN speeds. Will get a cat 6 today. thanks

6. opinio macrumors 65816

NBN. Sorry I didn't realise you're Australian. Yes you will definately need CAT5e or preferably CAT6 for the top speed on NBN. Although you need a decent router as well for NBN. One that was gigabit ethernet AND a gigabit WAN port such as the AirPort Extreme. There is another current post going around with this info.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1624716

7. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes have a modem suitable and the new extreme so should be good, just got to wait 2 more weeks for connection with iinet. Been waiting 4 already.

Got a cat 6 and it is much faster. Thanks.

8. opinio macrumors 65816

The AirPort Extreme is easy to set up on iiNet NBN. It connects via IPoE. Run CAT6 from the NBN NTD to the WAN port on the extreme. No modem is required.

In the Airport App set the Internet to DHCP and the Network tab to DHCP and NAT as on. No user name or password is needed to connect to the Internet because iiNet uses IPoE.

Takes 30 seconds :)

On a 100/40 plan you should get 90+ and 30+ Mbps on Speedtest.net if you are using the extreme. If you use the iiNet supplied router you may only get half that speed due to the slow WAN port.

9. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wont be able to go straight into the NBN NTD as it will be connected to a Hills Home Hub in the garage. Think i will have to have it set up as i do now, tp-link into data point in office and extreme into it. Time will tell.

10. blanka macrumors 68000

Cat 6 for gigabit is NOT needed. Cat 5 is fine. If you have a good router/switch, it supports everything on Cat 5, full duplex, 9000bit jumbo frames. I have a DSG-108 gigabit switch, and it does full gigabit speed on every cable I throw at it, even with very old freebies from old 512Kbit ADSL modems.

The thing is, pulling data from the internet is no good indication of the network speed. Try hooking up 2 computers over ethernet to the TP-link. It will not compare to Wifi speed. If your hard-disks can handle it, you can copy a 10GB file in 2-3 minutes with gigabit. Forget that with Wifi.

11. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

All connected yesterday, getting 90 and 34 with the new extreme.

12. opinio macrumors 65816

Super. That's close to as fast as it gets on the NBN. The max I have got on the down is 94.97 with upload the same as yours. If you have it, try running an older router and you will see the throughput drop significantly.

13. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have now moved my extreme into my office, i had it in the garage till i got my switches swapped on my hills hub. Test now is 94.4 and 34.

Dont know anything about Elgato netstream do you?

14. jfoley89 macrumors regular

since i finally found a thread talking about AP extreme and NBN...I have 100/40 with Telstra in Brisbane. If I buy a AP extreme, can I just throw out the telstra router and connect the AP straight into the NTD considering the NTD is just a big ass modem in the wall? will I have to change any settings on the AP or just plug it into the WAN and off I go?

15. opinio macrumors 65816

Do you use VOIP on Telstra for your phone? If so then I am note sure what setup works with that. Yes the AE will work if you just plug it into the NTD and set internet to IPoE, but I am not sure about Telstra's VOIP setup. I asked them once when I set up a friends setup and they said you have to use the supplied phone. But they could just be saying that. I would have guessed though that you could use an ATA device or a Siemens Gigaset VOIP phone.

It is worth pointing out the AE does not have a VOIP port that is why I am saying this. The Telstra router does.

So... yes the AE is fine to just plug straight into the NTD for Telstra internet (I've done that), but the VOIP setup is another question (never tried that).

16. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

17. jfoley89 macrumors regular

thanks, i don't use a home phone so that part doesn't really matter, the Telstra guy tried to tell me it wasn't possible to do when he was installing it, but i had a feeling since the NTD was the modem that i didn't even nee the Telstra router, thanks for clarifying it :D

18. opinio macrumors 65816

My neighbour (on Telstra) runs an AE directly from the UNI-D1 port on the NTD to the WAN on his AE. He doesn't use the Tesltra modem either as he has no phone. His internet setting in the Airport App is 'DHCP'. That is the setting for IPoE which Telstra should run. I run the same, but on a different ISP.

19. jfoley89 macrumors regular

sweet cheers guys, good to know I dont have to have yet another device hooked upto the NBN just to use it, the thing is chunky enough as it is

20. opinio macrumors 65816

Skymesh (ISP) uses the AE as their actual router on the NBN and uses the Cisco SPA122 ATA on it. Seems like a tried an tested setup if you want to use an AE and VOIP on the NBN. I am sure many other ATAs work though.

See attached PDF

21. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for that.