New Airport Extreme - help with setup :)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EmptyG, Aug 8, 2007.

1. EmptyG macrumors regular

Hello all...

So I had a Linksys WRT54G and decided to replace it with the new gigabit Airport Extreme. Right away I ran into issues and I hope people here can help.

I have my network configured with manual addressing (non-DHCP) connecting to a cable modem. It makes everything easier for me and I really want to keep it that way. With the Linksys, no problems. Unofortunately, the AEX is just not letting it happen. If I configure using DHCP, no problems. But it I try to go to manual addressing, I get no access, nothing.

If someone could give me maybe a quick walkthrough or something, I would REALLY appreciate it. If I can't get manual addressing working, I'll have to take it back.

2. stimpycat macrumors regular

I'd second that request - I am waiting on a new Mac Pro and would liek to go wireless so I can use an Xbox online.

However I do not even have a clue where to start - I have heard of routers and airport extreme and express but do not know what the difference is between all 3 of them.

I have a ADSL modem that will work with my Mac and also somewhere a big black box (which I think is a router) but that came with my broadband and has never been used as i have no idea what it does haha

3. EmptyG thread starter macrumors regular

stimpy - I got fed up with it and took it back. It was just very limiting in how to set it up. The cool thing was that the Apple store gave me a full refund, no restocking fees or anything. Thanks Apple! That actually does mean a lot to me, knowing it's quick and easy to take something back there :)

So I bought a D-Link DIR-655 router (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530&sec=1). It has Wireless-N, gigabit ethernet (4 ports instead of 3 on the Airport Extreme). I gotta say, so far I love it. Setup took all of 20 minutes total, and that included changing out my old Cat5 cables for Cat6 (works better with gigabit).

Setup is super easy, if you use the setup wizard. That went fine, as did doing it manually (I like to use static IPs with my machines). All told, it took under 30 minutes to be setup, tested and ready to go. I HIGHLY recommend this router. The only drawback is that the USB port it has cannot be used to hook up a printer or Network hard drive. That was not as important to me anyways.

Circuit city has it for $130 with a free $25 giftcard by mail. Not a bad deal, IMO - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/D-Li...65020/catOid/-12980/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do