New Airport Extreme Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kapa1686, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kapa1686 macrumors member

Hi guys, i just purchased a new 5th gen Airport Extreme to replace my old time capsule (2nd gen), i set it up and all working.

But not sure what it is, the coverage around the house it actually less then the old time capsule. Maybe i need to adjust a few settings, from what i read, i thought the new airport had better signal coverage?

any help much appreciated.

thanks

2. hafr macrumors 68030

This might be a stupid question, but it's always worth asking :) Have you placed the AEBS at the same exact spot as the TC used to be, with nothing else around it added or changed?

Maybe they broadcast at different channels? Go through the channels one by one until you find the one that works the best for you :)

3. kapa1686 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks for reply, yeah it went in exactly the same place. Cool i will try the channel option. Im sure i selected same channel as before but will try again.

4. kapa1686 thread starter macrumors member

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

Not much people can do for you. Take it back and try another, or try something else.

6. kapa1686 thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough, will have play around a bit more then take it from there.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Is the performance lower in all bands (b/g/n), or just some?

The latest AE has better 80.211n and 80.211g performance, but 80.211b is a bit worse than earlier models (including the older TC).

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

FWIW, my new Time Capsule reaches to places in my house where I couldn't even get Wi-Fi before. I'm also using N only with a 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies. You may want to look into returning it to Apple.

9. kapa1686 thread starter macrumors member

okay cool, i may just have to do that.