New Airport Extreme Now?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Titus, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Titus macrumors member

I have a late 2009 iMac, a Dell PC (for working from home) two iPads, two Apple TVs and a 2009 Airport Extreme. The one Apple TV in my bedroom I use a lot. My living room TV is set up to wireless surround sound and through the wall connectivity to my receiver, Blu-ray player and Cable Box. I use one of my iPads to mirror onto a 60 inch Samsung. I also have an Airport Express connected to my receiver for the mirror set up.

I'm buying a new iMac when the 2013s come out.

My question is do you think I should get the new Airport Extreme now or wait until I get the new iMac. I'm no computer expert and I work 100% from home as a college professor so I can't afford even one day of down time, including weekends.

When I plug my new Airport Extreme in and connect it to my Internet provider's box, how complex is the setup?

Thanks.

Kim

2. simsaladimbamba

The setup will be the same as with your 2009 AirPort Extreme, and if it is not and you cannot figure out by yourself, you can always fall back onto your 2009 AirPort Extreme while getting help online, thus the ZERO downtime can almost be accomplished.

3. Serban Suspended

Yes, get the new one. Im also waiting for the imac with wifi ac

4. ColdCase, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Some internet providers still lock the mac address of the router to your service. So there may be a delay after the physical swap before the new APE is picked up and you get internet. Worse case is you call the ISP's support line and they will reset the connection for you (they do this just about anytime). I forget if you can release the current AP IP address before plugging in the new one, that speeds things up.

This is currently not required for most ISPs, but was widespread three or four years ago.

Otherwise simple, physically replace old with new and set up the new on like the old one. If you are using the newest AP utility, it will detect the new router and lead you through the setup. The APE comes out of the box set to router mode, and the setup is just setting your WIFI SID and password.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that if you are plugging devices into the older AP expresses which then connects to your router wirelessly, they may not be compatible. I keep my ancient AP around (bridge mode) just for that purpose. It serves the separate AP expresses network wirelessly and is connected via ethernet cable to the main APE.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Start Airport Utility now then export the settings for your current Extreme (under the File menu) and save that file. Then when you install the new Extreme just go to that same menu in Airport Utility and import the settings file and you will be all set.

Prior to that though, connect the new Extreme and power it on then power down and reboot your Internet provider's modem so it will recognize the new Extreme router.

6. opinio macrumors 65816

They're new. If you can afford it then get it. Apple won't be introducing a new one anytime soon.

7. Titus thread starter macrumors member

I opened up the Airport Utility and, under file, it won't let me export. There is actually an export selection but it is not active.

I think my greatest worry is my apple tvs won't automatically connect if I have the new router.

8. opinio macrumors 65816

You need to click on the AE then click edit to being up the options. Then do the export.

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Mine did.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I failed to explain a step. Once you open Airport Util, select Airport Extreme then click the edit button in the popout panel. That will open a configuration screen. Once that is done those menus will be live and you can export.

If you import the config file with the same network name and password, all your devices including the AppleTV will connect right up.

11. Titus thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I guess it worked :confused:

----------

I'll find out soon........I ordered it and it'll be here by Friday!