Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alecness315

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Central New York
I have enough money for the new Apple Airport Extreme Base Station or an Acer or MSi net book. Which should I get?

I have a Belkin router but it's on the other side of the house. With the Airport, I'd be able to put it in my room, then I can hook it up directly to my iMac, Apple TV, and X box. And they say the internet is fast on the Airport, and fast directly connected to the machine. I would buy "Time Capsule" but I already have a 1 TB drive that I'd plug into the Airport Extreme.

I use an iPod touch that I'm using for portable internet/e-mail. But I'd like the bigger screen and to be able to multi-task with a net book. If Apple came out with net book (which they probably won't release) I would buy that. But Acer and MSi seems to have the best value for the price.

So I really need some help deciding on which to get. Thank you SO much for your help/opinions deciding. :D

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
I have enough money for the new Apple Airport Extreme Base Station or an Acer or MSi net book. Which should I get?

I have a Belkin router but it's on the other side of the house. With the Airport, I'd be able to put it in my room, then I can hook it up directly to my iMac, Apple TV, and X box. And they say the internet is fast on the Airport, and fast directly connected to the machine. I would buy "Time Capsule" but I already have a 1 TB drive that I'd plug into the Airport Extreme.

I use an iPod touch that I'm using for portable internet/e-mail. But I'd like the bigger screen and to be able to multi-task with a net book. If Apple came out with net book (which they probably won't release) I would buy that. But Acer and MSi seems to have the best value for the price.

So I really need some help deciding on which to get. Thank you SO much for your help/opinions deciding. :D

An airport express is just over half the price of an airport extreme base station and is all you will need if it is just for one room. Maybe you would still have enough money left over for one of the cheaper netbooks?

macryder

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
An airport express is just over half the price of an airport extreme base station and is all you will need if it is just for one room. Maybe you would still have enough money left over for one of the cheaper netbooks?

In my own opinion, whatever of these two have the fastest and safest service in airports, I would go with that. It really depends on the unit.:apple:

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Airport Express + refurbished netbook.

Netbooks seem sorta cool, try one out.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I just got a Dell Mini 9 Netbook since I heard its VERY easy to run Mac OS X on it (and yea I have a legit OS X license for this). Turns it it really is and everything works like a charm thus far!

So if you want to play with something new and kinda need a portable machine you maybe want to get one of these (try to get one with at least a 16GB SSD though to make the install easier). http://www.mydellmini.com has an easy guide to do it.

I think the MSI wind and Acer can run Mac OS X too but there's some compatibilty issues with those.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I mean that I didn't download a pirated copy of the Leopard disc from some website but instead am using a legit Apple Mac OS X Leopard disk with my family pack license.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I mean that I didn't download a pirated copy of the Leopard disc from some website but instead am using a legit Apple Mac OS X Leopard disk with my family pack license.

It's still a violation of the EULA to install it on a non-Apple system. I'm not saying I agree with Apple's position, but Apple at least does not consider that "legit."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.