new airport extreme question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jetjaguar, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I have never used base stations before so I have a setup. Should I use this as an extender or a new network?

Currently I am just using the fios router and the wifi performance is kind of meh .. i bought a new airport extreme and set it up as a new network and my wireless performance with an imac on another floor went from 30/25 to 101/60.

my question is I tried setting up as an extender and it cant find the network to connect to even though the information is correct?

And is the best way to set it up as an extender or to create a new network?
    I plan on adding a time capsule soon as well.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Why do you think you need it set as an extender, do you want to extend the FIOS wireless network to places it doesn't provide coverage?. Does your FIOS router also have TV (Coax)?

Most here either disable the FIOS router and wireless function and use the extreme as the main router and wireless access point. If the TV cable does not go through the FIOS router, you can just pitch it and connect the extreme directly to the FIOS ethernet port.

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yes it does have a coaxial connection as well. Well the fios router is my wireless network so I was trying to extend the coverage in my house .. but i guess i need to create a new wireless network?

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

So then the only way to use my time capsule and airport extreme is to create a new wireless network and use the airport to extend it? How do i disable to the wireless network my fios router creates >

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

To configure the FIOS router, you log into it via your web browser. It will display a configuration screen. Typically you need to know the router LAN IP address to direct your browser and then the admin user name and password. I'm not that familiar with the FIOS router, but if no one chimes in here, google may be your friend, there is a Verizon FIOS forum at http://www.dslreports.com with folks that are generally helpful.

Otherwise you can connect the WAN port of the Extreme via ethernet cable and place the extreme anywhere you want. Set it to bridge mode and set it up to create a wireless network. Then perhaps set up the time capsule elsewhere in the house to extend that network (or the other way around).

I have a couple wireless networks in the house to share the load and for guest use.