New Airport Extreme, very slow on Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bluegiz90, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Bluegiz90 macrumors member

I have a new Airport Extreme which installed greatly and I had my laptops and imac connected to it right away. However, I replaced a Linksys router with this due to the iMac having connection problems with my Linksys.

My iMac is fine, I'm downloading at 1.2mb/sec however my laptops are not. They are both widnows based laptops, (Windows 7) and are consistently having their internet connections dropped. I installed Windows 7 on my iMac and its the same there, downloading at 30KB/sec atm when whilst im in OS X, I'm easily getting 1+ mb/sec.

Before this Router, everything was fine but now with the airport extreme, anything windows based wont work as it did =/.

Any suggestions?

2. purd002 macrumors member

I installed an airport extreme as well last night and have not noticed any speed decrease on my wired vista desktop, if nobody else replies i'll try to fire up my old XP laptop and see how it does with the wireless speeds.

3. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

I am interested in your XP wireless speeds. I am also interested in how you got XP to work with the AEBS. My brother bought an AEBS for use with his computers. He has signal but no connection to the AEBS via wireless. Since I am using a Linksys with a Mac, I have no experience with the AEBS XP setup. Any advice would be appreciated.

4. purd002 macrumors member

i fired up the XP laptop and connected to it wirelessly and was pulling 2.5mbps consistently which is right in line with all the other computers connected to the AEBS.

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I, too, have two Windows XP machines working fine with the new AEBS. Could it be that your Windows machines have older Wifi cards that don't support WPA2 and you set your network up with WPA2 encryption? I have one really old Ubuntu laptop and an HP iPaq that are in that boat, so I set up a guest network using WPA/WPA2 encryption. That laptop's PC-Card Wifi (I told you it was old) only supports WEP and WPA version 1 as does the iPaq (which is also only 802.11b). They get to the Internet fine that way, but can't see the rest of my network. I threw an old USB drive onto my AEBS and set it up as a Time Capsule that the Guest Network can also see and will use that for any file transfers the Ubuntu laptop needs.

Also, one of the Windows boxes supports 802.11n, but won't connect to my 5GHz network. It is a Dell and I assume it can't handle wide channels, which I have turned on. I just relegate that machine to the 2.4 GHz network. I named the networks differently as a contingency for just this purpose. Val-kyrie, could it be that your brother is also being bit by the wide channel issue? If he has not named the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks differently, the Windows box may stubbornly keep trying to connect at 5 GHz. He can uncheck the wide channel support to allow 5 GHz connection, or use two different network names for the two frequencies and then connect to the 2.4 GHz network.