New airport extreme with existing time capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by woodynorman, Oct 6, 2013.

1. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I'm currently waiting on my new MBA 13" from Apple.com. I have an approx 2 yr old Time capsule.

I would like to take advantage of the MBA new ac wifi technology. I am looking at the Airport Extreme for this.

My (possibly dumb) question is...can I use my existing Time Capsule for my automatic and regular backups, and a new Airport Extreme for my internet connection? My Time capsule currently has 1.16 TB of 2 TB available, so of course I would like to continue to use it for backing up my new MBA.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, of course. Are you using the TC as your Router ? If you are then turn this off and use the new AE as the Router.

If you are WiFi connected to the TC, then you will need to change these settings also. Setup the new AE as the main WiFi network creator and use the TC to extend the AE's WiFi. Maybe the TC is located next to the new AE and WiFi on the TC won't be needed. If so, then LAN connect the TC to the AE. If you do this, then put the TC in Bridge Mode.

3. woodynorman thread starter macrumors 6502

4. icydog macrumors member

I have a new time capsule connected by Ethernet to my internet provider. I use Airport Express as an extender to my network making it faster and more reliable. I also have an iPhone, my thermostat, my printer, my iPad, 2 Apple TVs and my MacBook Air using distinct routers. For instance, my 2 Apple TVs are run by the AE ---and my printer and thermostat are run by my TC!