New AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NutFlush920, Apr 11, 2014.

1. NutFlush920 macrumors regular

I just bought the 6th generation AirPort Extreme to replace my 5th generation and AirPort Express. I have my router in my basement at one end of the house (where my home run is for all my cabling) and previously had the AirPort Express on the main (only) floor of my house extending my wifi via cat5e as we couldn't get signal in our bedroom which is at the other end of the house.

I read that the 6th generation redesigned ac model was better for signal. I can confirm that it is as we can now get Internet in our bedroom without needing the Express anymore but only if we both turn off wifi and turn it back on again on our iPhone 5's when in the bedroom.

Anyone know why we have to turn wifi off and back on to get Internet when in the bedroom? Our home is about 43' long and is ranch style with a poured finished basement built in the mid 70's.

I have it set to auto channel but have the same problem when manually selecting a channel that is not used by any other wifi network around me according to iStumbler.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

is the wifi from the 6th extreme the ONLY one?

do you have any other airports still active?

3. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

Only the Extreme is hooked up. No other AirPorts.

4. NutFlush920, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

I just moved my modem and AirPort Extreme to my main floor to test it out.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The wireless router (any brand) should always be central in the home. Please ensure that you are running the 7.7.2 firmware and report back!

6. NutFlush920 thread starter macrumors regular

I am running 7.7.2 firmware. Since moving the Extreme to the main floor in a central location thing seem to be much better. Shame that it doesn't work properly in my basement where my main wire drops and iTunes server are.

Probably could've accomplished all this with my 5th generation Extreme but now I'm ready for wifi ac when the new iPhone and iPad come out I guess.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe it is due to the new antennas requiring the location to be more central to properly beamform the signal.