New Airport Extreme's WDS network performance drops fast

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Brendon Bauer, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

May 14, 2007
    Good 'ol USofA
    I have set up a WDS network consisting of three brand new Airport Extreme's. The first one, or the main, is connected to an ethernet cord. The second is a relay station which broadcasts to the thirds base station, the remote. At the first and second base stations, I get around 800kbps download speed. However, at the third base station, the remote, I get around 50kbps or nothing at all. All three base stations are within range of eachother... For example, I can connect to the second base station with 3 bars where the third base station is located.

I've tried different channels, tried 2 and 5.5 multicast rate, tried no encryption, WEP and WPA/WPA2 Personal. I just don't understand. It's like it just can't carry the internet connection through to the third base station? Any ideas?

If I didn't include enough information, please just let me know :).
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Adding an extra base station 'level' halves the bandwidth. So if you have one Extreme, and then connect another to it, you'll halve the bandwidth. Adding a third AirPort to the second one will halve it again.

Nevertheless, the newer AirPorts have quite a large bandwidth to play with, so this shouldn't be limiting you to less than a megabyte a second. Could one of the stations be faulty? Have you tried removing one at a time to see if things improve? :)