New airport needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whyrichard, Dec 27, 2011.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey guys

I need a new airport and I'm wondering which one makes the most sense...

I don't really know what the advantages are airport extreme other than the the ability to have multiple users should I just get an airport express?

R.

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Extreme: Can have up to 50 clients, has three wired ethernet ports, simultaneous dual-band.
    Express: Cheaper, only up to 10 clients, has an audio out port for AirPlay.

Without knowing more about your network needs, (number of clients [devices], network back-up, AirPlay, etc) it's hard to determine exactly what you need.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why even bother with an overpriced Apple network product in the first place? A cheap $50 wireless-n router will give you pretty much the exact same thing as the $180 AEBS.

4. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Check out Which Wi-Fi base station are you? for a side by side comparison of the 3 devices.

----------

I personally justify the spending by being able to have everything simply work the way I want it to. The more 3rd party components you add, the more you risk incompatibility issues.

5. 199708 macrumors 6502

Im with you, I use mostly all apple products at home (airport extreme failed after 2years use, apple won't fix it) except for the girlfriends lapps. I've gone out and bought a linkers n router that's lasted 2 years now and couldnt be happier. His slightly longer range somehow, reaching to the other side of the street which means my itouch in my car can sync with my pc when I'm at home :) perfection